Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all those KP knitters here. I am going to Britain/Ireland in a couple of weeks. Do they readily except American Express and Visa Cards. Are you using the Chips and Pins Cards? Should I just have ample Euros and Pounds with me. Please help on this before Thursday as that's when I go to our currency exchange company. Thought I could get info. from those of you who live over there.
Thanks in advance.
Bev

·
Registered
15,968 Posts
LuvmyDoxies said:
For all those KP knitters here. I am going to Britain/Ireland in a couple of weeks. Do they readily except American Express and Visa Cards. Are you using the Chips and Pins Cards? Should I just have ample Euros and Pounds with me. Please help on this before Thursday as that's when I go to our currency exchange company. Thought I could get info. from those of you who live over there.
Thanks in advance.
Bev
Hi Bev Britain does accept visa cards (guess American Express too) and yes we do have chip and PIN.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
But don't rely on American Express...a lot of places won't take it. Cards are fine for most things, but you'll be better with pounds or euros for cafes, coffee shops etc, though most of them will take a card payment. You need to check if your bank charges you extra for using your cards abroad. Have a wonderful trip!

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
I have an American Express card and Elsie is right when she says some places don't take it. We have chip and pin too. You might want to notify your bank about your travel plans, as my sister could not buy euros with her Canadian credit card when she visited me last month. But her credit card did work in Spain and UK for shopping.

·
Registered
58,824 Posts
I will give you a tip whatever credit card you will be using over there contact your credit card provider before you leave that you will be in that country and what dates. It sure helps a friend of ours couldn't use her card the first day. She was trying to take care of business when she arrive in Ireland.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Britain is not part of the European Union, so their currency is Pound Sterling. Best to have ample for small purchases, afternoon tea, etc. They take all credit cards in the larger shops, so don't worry.

You did not say where in Ireland, Northern or the Republic.
They too take all credit cards.

Rememebr if you use your debit card for cash, you not only have to pay the exchange but a hefty fee as well.

Enjoy your hols.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Be sure to notify your bank/card company that you will be using it out of the country soon, or they may "freeze" it thinking it's been stolen or compromised. It happened to a classmate of my daughter's when they were on a trip to Germany. Took several days to get it fixed, luckily their teacher had exchanged some money ahead of time in the USA.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Bev

Only need Euros if going into Southern Ireland (Dublin etc) if visiting Northern Ireland, sterling is used. Just be careful if taking sterling from Northern Ireland into England or Scotland as funnily enough they wont take it even though it is legal tender! I was asked about an exchange rate and actually had a note refused in Suffolk because it was northern irish! We take english and scottish money okay! just be careful to check your echange rates too as they can vary. the local Post Offices can be very competitive. Happy and safe travelling!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom