Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a couple sized 1 and 2 -40 inch circulars to make sox. One was knit picks and the other knitters pride. I put the sox I was working on in my knitting bag but must have put something on it or near it that broke the knitpicks needle. My LYS will replace it, so no problem there.

My question is: What do I need to do to keep little wooden needles safer while in use? I love knitting with wood, but not if they are so fragile!
I was looking at buying the sock set of the knitpicks harmonies but now I wonder if I should get the nickel-plated instead of Harmony.
Would keeping my WIP sox needles in a pencil box (OR something else) keep them from breaking? I'm guessing it also adds weight to the bag. What do you sox knitters recommend ? It will be a pain to keep replacing broken needles! Thanks for the feedback.

·
Super Moderator
20,227 Posts
KnitPicks will replace your needle free of charge. Just call them and tell them about it.

I prefer the nickle plated tips for the smaller sizes because of this. I've actually had 2 of the 2mm harmony needles break, so I just sharpened the ends and made short dp needles out of them. Now I have a set of 2mm wooden dps needles that I don't use since I use circulars for everything.

·
Registered
13,834 Posts
Having the replacement is fine...but you'll enjoy a set or two of the following (I chose low to high pricing):
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Circular-Needles-/71216/i.html?_sop=15&_nkw=stainless+circular+knitting+needles&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

chickkie said:
KnitPicks will replace your needle free of charge. Just call them and tell them about it.

I prefer the nickle plated tips for the smaller sizes because of this. I've actually had 2 of the 2mm harmony needles break, so I just sharpened the ends and made short dp needles out of them. Now I have a set of 2mm wooden dps needles that I don't use since I use circulars for everything.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts

·
Registered
13,834 Posts
Happy hunting on the ebay site...check out www.herrschners.com also. They have a wide selection.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
you know I think the pencil case is a great idea.. and its small enough to fit into a tote so you can take the pattern and maybe another project with you.. I went with the #2 nickle plated.. on 40" cords. I ended up getting 2 one from knit picks and one from the LYS that is knitters pride. My knitters pride is slightly sharper than the knit picks. I now have at least 3 different ways to knit socks..:)

·
Registered
767 Posts
knitwitconnie said:
I purchased a couple sized 1 and 2 -40 inch circulars to make sox. One was knit picks and the other knitters pride. I put the sox I was working on in my knitting bag but must have put something on it or near it that broke the knitpicks needle. My LYS will replace it, so no problem there.

My question is: What do I need to do to keep little wooden needles safer while in use? I love knitting with wood, but not if they are so fragile!
I was looking at buying the sock set of the knitpicks harmonies but now I wonder if I should get the nickel-plated instead of Harmony.
Would keeping my WIP sox needles in a pencil box (OR something else) keep them from breaking? I'm guessing it also adds weight to the bag. What do you sox knitters recommend ? It will be a pain to keep replacing broken needles! Thanks for the feedback.
My Grandma and my Mom knitted and Gramps and Dad provided support. The guys addressed this problem with corrugated cardboard rolls secured with homemade elastic bands, some rolls had felt rolled in the inner turns to protect from rust and scratching. the rolls were stood up or laid in knitting baskets, bags, and cabinets. when the rolls got ragged it was an easy replacement. The elastic is sewing elastic but most often it was elastic from old under wear or other clothes, cut to snug the roll and the elastic was tied, sewn, or glued to hold. the larger needles in any roll gave extra protection over and above what the corrugated could do for the smaller ones. The elastic out lasted and gave a more consistent hug VS rubber bands. Moon Loomer

·
Registered
81 Posts
I use the cardboard inner from any of the food wraps or paper towels, cut down to size if they are too long. The thinner ones from fancy wrapping paper are the best as they are stronger. A stopper (for chair legs) can even be bought to fit these ones.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! I found some cardboard holders on knitpicks for DPNs that might work for small circular tips.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom