Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waaah! Have sprained wrist and am in bandages - cannot cope without knitting!!!!! Any ideas ladies??????? Pleeeeeeze tell me a way to continue knitting before I go completely bonkers! PS: typing with only one hand is barrare!!!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I broke my scafoid and was in a cast for a very long time...I stuck my knitting needle down the cast...thinking I was ever so smart... The Dr. couldn't understand why my wrist wasn't healing...when I told him what I was doing he had my cast removed and a new one put on in such a manner that I couldn't get a needle down inside it... my wrist healed within weeks.
DO NOT knit until your break heals...not worth it....

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Can understand your frustration. Did dr. say anything about knitting or not. If you can keep trying different ways or simple projects. Hope you heal quickly. and while you can't knit maybe you can organize your patterns and look forward to new projects.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Get out a good book Jaki and hunker down. Let your wrist heal before knitting. You could cause other problems.
Caryn

Jaki said:
Waaah! Have sprained wrist and am in bandages - cannot cope without knitting!!!!! Any ideas ladies??????? Pleeeeeeze tell me a way to continue knitting before I go completely bonkers! PS: typing with only one hand is barrare!!!

·
Premium Member
81,343 Posts
But you still can type with one hand, and you can browse for patterns and techniques you'd like to try once the healing is done. DO NOT attempt using the injured wing! Read online or in paper books. Watch those movies you've never had time for! Attend performances ... in dark venues where you couldn't have knit much anyway.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One finger typing slow and laborious but do-able - will browse for new patterns etc whilst things "get better" it's sooo frustrating! However .... reading is fine - daughter gave me a huge tome on casting on and binding off (simply loads of ways!!!) so will read and read - she also gave me The Advanced Knitters Handbook so I will have plenty to keep me occupied - I hope!!! Colin doesn't think it's the right type of reading but we will see! Thank you for your kindness and suggestions xxxx
Jessica-Jean said:
But you still can type with one hand, and you can browse for patterns and techniques you'd like to try once the healing is done. DO NOT attempt using the injured wing! Read online or in paper books. Watch those movies you've never had time for! Attend performances ... in dark venues where you couldn't have knit much anyway.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you sweetie - will take advice and endeavour to be good!!! LOL!!! Hubby is not so sure that this particular promise is do-able but he will be keeping me under control! He took me out for dinner so I did not have to peel things - bless him! Am going to sort patterns, find new ones and read lots of knitting books!!! XXXX
Carynjoyb said:
Get out a good book Jaki and hunker down. Let your wrist heal before knitting. You could cause other problems.
Caryn

Jaki said:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nah honey - was told to rest it until bandages removed - grr! Still - have one hand that works and a computer to trawl for new patterns, books to read and cats to cuddle .... will miss my knitting tho :-( xxxxx
Debbystitchknit said:
Can understand your frustration. Did dr. say anything about knitting or not. If you can keep trying different ways or simple projects. Hope you heal quickly. and while you can't knit maybe you can organize your patterns and look forward to new projects.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Yikes! At least it's a sprain and not a break. It'll heal before you know it and you'll be back in action. I feel your pain though. Not being able to knit makes the desire that much stronger! Stay strong-you'll get through this!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are brilliant - thank you!!!!! I'll show them doctors you can't keep a crafter down LOL!!!!
Jessica-Jean said:
If you are determined to play with yarn ... it is possible to knit with just one functional hand:

I'm sure there are other videos and websites with one-handed information. I wasn't searching for this; it just popped up in an unrelated search.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you sweets - definitely feeling better already!!! My two typing fingers are getting better at this!!! And I've just watched a You Tube vid on how to knit one handed!!! Wheeee!!!! xxxx
Gypsycream said:
Bottoms!!! I feel your pain. I injured my shoulder once and couldn't knit for a month!

Sending you healing hugs, gentle ones of course.

·
Registered
19,412 Posts
Jaki said:
Get some books and plan what you will make when your wrist is healed. Or read some fiction knitting mysteries and try to unravel it before you find out what really happened. Go to a craft fair and browse or buy ..you might get inspired on your next project...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Jaki said:
I broke my wrist really bad last March, had to have an external fixator bar surgically put on. The only thing I could knit for the first 3 weeks was the fluffy, ribbon yarn scarves because they required no tension. Luckily I got enough of them done for a good head-start on my Christmas list! :)

Hope you heal quickly.....

Noreen

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom