Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the trippers, one is for knit leader, one for row counter.
The first one I bought on eBay, very dirty and bent, but it worked. Then I got two more at estate sales, that looked perfectly new, but the trippers were too short for the row counter. Leanneco on eBay sells a pair for $6 = shipping that fits. But I was wondering why 2 new carriages both have trippers that do not touch the row counter. I have not checked with knit leader, because I don't use one.
I was going to sell the extra one, but if the trippers don't fit, I can't do that and don't want to buy another set of trippers. Are they supposed to fit another machine? I used on 260 and 270.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Apparently this intarsia carriage came with 2 trippers...."A" tripper for the Knitleader that mounted on the left side.....and "B" for the Row Counter & the Knitleader that mounted on the right side......
See manual.... http://machineknittingetc.com/brother-ka2600-intarsia-carriage-user-guide.html

The tripper that you have on your bulky machine (that actually works in pic 4)....would trip both the row counter and the KnitLeader(if you had one).. but on the bulky machine...if you were using the Knitleader....it has to trip twice(to advance 2 rows)...so you would need the "A" tripper on the left also....

On a standard bed machine.....the Knitleader only needs to trip once(to advance 1 row)......but depending on the distance between the row counter/Knitleader trip levers and the trippers on the intarsia carriage.....you may need either "A" or "B" or both......So the variables would be the different machine models and what Knitleader model is attached...

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tallie9, maybe it was not clear what I tried to describe. First picture shows the set of trippers that came with the first very much used intarsia carriage. Picture 2 shows the pair that came with the second and third intarsia carriage, both seemed new in box. Those 2 trippers in picture 2 are similar, not identical. The arm that sticks out to top is longer in one. But what trips my row counter is the bottom side piece with the longer one in the first picture, all the others don't. I am sure the top part trips the knit leader, and it probably would trip it twice but it also needs to trip the row counter. Or don't you count rows on knitting machine when you use the knit leader? I might have tripper A in the B position, but that should not make a difference.
What Leanneco sells is the pair in picture 1, the pair in picture 2 just does not work with row counter.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
There is a possibility that they sold different trippers with the intarsia carriage to coincide with the different models of brother machines....Dealers would have swapped them out to be compatible with the machine you bought.....They had done this with the setting plates for the Knitleaders..

I'm not sure if I could even use this intarsia carriage on my 588......but I cannot use my row counter when I use the Knitleader.....but mine is the exception.....Most..if not all ...the later models have use of the row counter when using the Knitleader..

The only way to know for sure of what-goes-with-what....are responses from various Brother model users of this intarsia carriage/knitleader combo..

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
The KA-2600 came with the two different sized trippers that are in your photo. One activates the row counter and the Knitleader with every movement of the carriage.....right one in your photo. The other only activates the Knitleader with each movement of the carriage......left one in your photo.
Seeing you have bought these second hand then it obvious that whoever sold them to you has lost the tripper that does both the Knitleader and row counter and you just have the Knitleader ones.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Page 4 of this KA-2600 mentions that it is for the Brother PUNCHCARD bulky. The punchcard bulky (260) has a different type of row counter (removable) than the 270 (built into the km body). These two row counters require trippers of different heights!

Sort of like using the gc on various brother standard gauge machines. The punchcard machines have a removable row counter. The electronic ones have a built into the km body row counter (unless you have added a removable one to the 970!) They sit at different distances from the main bed of needles and need different trippers!

Rita in Raleigh, who has too many brother machines, but loves them all!!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rita in Raleigh,
you saved my day. You are so right.
I started out with the 260, but when I stumbled upon a 270 I packed the 260 away. I got it out right now and yes I had forgotten the different type of row counter. Strangely the very first intarsia carriage I got and used on the 260 had the trippers that also fit the 270. So on the later intarsia carriages I thought the included trippers were wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom