Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I should happen to be able to purchase a Brother KX350 for around $100, would this be a good price if it appears to be in good condition?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it doesn't appear to convert to bulky. And it does say the sponge bar needs to be replaced. It looks to be complete and in pretty condition, doesn't appear to be dirty, etc.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I love my KX-350! If it's in good shape, $100 is excellent. I knit yarns like Bernat Softee and other light worsteds (#3) or sport and DK weights. They look handknit, and I don't mind hand-manipulating stitches for patterns, because they would be equivalent to handknitting with a US 2 to US 5 hand needle. And if I stick to that, I'll still be knitting at my own funeral! JMHO, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
And there's a nice tutorial on how to replace the sponge bar here:

http://marzipanknits.blogspot.de/2008/07/tutorial-for-changing-sponge-strip-on.html

By the way, if your sponge bar is still in recognizable shape, you can make one yourself from the sponge strips used for sealing drafty windows. Did that myself, and it works fine. Though you have to find sponge strips that are not so very soft, more like sponge/foam rubber.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
the KX350 is a good choice for a KM, my favorite of all of my machines. If you use every other needle, you can do bulky yarn and reshape after knitting. this works well for worsted and fun fur types, using tension 7.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you can find another machine at a reasonable price, you can put two machines together. Our knitting guild did that once. You can knit larger blankets with no seaming if you're into projects like that. Or you can knit larger sweaters and not have to piece or knit gussets for the extra width. It is a very good beginner machine. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
It's a great machine.

Don't worry too much about a new sponge. I bought a brand new one when they first came onto the market ( one of the first in Canada) and the needles seemed sloppy when compared to the metal bed machines. It knits just fine.

It loves mohair and the fancy yarns.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:-D :-D :D Ok, so I wound up not getting the 350, but I think I got an even better deal. I just won an ebay auction for a Brother KX 585 profile (I think KX is right.) It appears to be in very good shape, it has 2 carriages, what looks a like knit leader, and lots of other stuff. The woman selling it said a friend gave it to her years ago and she just never got around to learning how to use it. So - I won this little baby for a mere $20.00!! I'm so excited, I can't wait till it gets here.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you can find another machine at a reasonable price, you can put two machines together. Our knitting guild did that once. You can knit larger blankets with no seaming if you're into projects like that. Or you can knit larger sweaters and not have to piece or knit gussets for the extra width. It is a very good beginner machine.

Cheryl, that's a great ideal! How would I do this? I have two kx350's.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Forgive me, everyone, for not saying thank you for all the helpful input. I am truly grateful for all the help I get on here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom