Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am lucky enough to have been given a DVD with a pattern for this jacket. I have seen pics of others completed ones on KP and was wondering, are they only supposed to be done in multiple colours? I have never seen one done in one colour. Just curious as I have yet to attempt it. I would like to make an adult one for myself, someday. thanks for your input.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
The multiple colors show off the mitering and the genius of the pattern. IMHO
You would lose that if it was all one color. I have certainly seen them with only two yarns used... sometimes a solid and a variegated or self-striping.

However, there are no knitting police so if you'd like to do it in all one color, I'm sure it will have it's own charm. Enjoy

ETA --- For me, this is a "magical" pattern... the strategically placed increases and decreases can seem confusing and then suddenly it all makes sense.
I would recommend that you do a baby sized first to see how it all works... but that's, of course, my opinion only.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
JoanDL said:
I am lucky enough to have been given a DVD with a pattern for this jacket. I have seen pics of others completed ones on KP and was wondering, are they only supposed to be done in multiple colours? I have never seen one done in one colour. Just curious as I have yet to attempt it. I would like to make an adult one for myself, someday. thanks for your input.
I have done in one color. Here is the picture

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Good morning - Lizmossstitch - Pretty sure that Schoolhouse Press - run by EZ's daughter, Meg - would be able to send you a copy, for a price, of course.

Here's a fun note - if you use sock yarn, you can make the sweater for an AG doll. My granddaughter loved hers. Enjoy

·
Registered
42,303 Posts
I have made this sweater in both multi colors and solid. It is a great pattern. I just found one in one of my knitting bags that was never completed, glad there is also some of the yarn with it so can be completed.

Saroj
beautiful baby and lovely sweater

Lizmossstitch
you can contact schoolhouse press, they are wonderful people
800-968-5648
or you can also email them
[email protected]
I personally would call them and explain what you are looking for. I don't know if they sell the DVD separate from the pattern.

This is the link to the pattern on their site
http://www.schoolhousepress.com/abcsj-adult-baby-and-child-s-surprise-jacket-1363.html

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
JoanDL said:
I have made several in one colour. I actually prefer them that way. If I want a multicoloured one I use variegated yarn.
This is one I made for my granddaughter in solid colour and in multicoloured yarn

Attachments

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for your replies. I see what you mean about all one colour. The baby jacket in one colour is really cute but the mitres don't stand out as much. I will definitely give this a try in the baby version first. Now I need to learn the difference between variegated and self-striping and where to buy. I have to use acrylic due to allergies. Thanks again all, for your help.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
JoanDL said:
I think a one color sweater will be very nice.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
JoanDL said:
...........Now I need to learn the difference between variegated and self-striping and where to buy. I have to use acrylic due to allergies. Thanks again all, for your help.
Keep in mind that if you use a variegated yarn, the details such as the miters will basically be lost in the every-stitch-is-a-different-color nature of the yarn, as it would be with a solid color but more so. You may be happier with a self-striping or a gradient yarn with long color changes' such as Knit Picks's Chroma or similar. Just MHO.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom