Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m knitting Gingham Knit Blanket by Martha Stewart using Red Heart Soft in red and black. My strips are 22 stitches with yarn held double. So when I knit the black the strips are 8” wide but when I knit one strand black and one strand red the strip is 7 1/2” wide. So when I knit 2 strands red they will be slightly narrower than 7 1/2”. When I see the strips together will this difference in width make the afghan wobbly? If so what do I do to fix this? Also the rows aren’t the same the double black knit 34 rows is 7” and the red black of 34 rows are 6 1/2”. So will this work out or what should I do? I'm just beginning so would I be better off getting different yarn where the different colors are the same thickness? Thanks

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Uh oh. You have run into different sized yarn due to color. Really no way of knowing this when you bought all this yarn in good faith. The color stripes will be different widths but uniform overall. I would continue as you are doing and accept that it might not be as uniform as you first intended but will be beautiful and unique.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have knit three of this gingham pattern blankets by Martha Stewart. Love it! Never followed the instructions for the type of yarn or size needles. One with black and white, another with taupe and beige, and the third with taupe and white.The first with 2 strands bulky yarn and size 11needles. Gorgeous but quite heavy and large.
The second and third made in worsted weight, held double. Found the white yarn to be slightly thinner than the black or taupe. Believe me, when you’re sewing the strips together it all works out. Just pay attention when you’re lining up before you stitch together. Just stretch enough to line up the colors.. My favorite pattern since you are knitting one strip at a time with mindless knitting. A great fill-in project. Will definitely be making more.

·
Registered
759 Posts
For some weird reason I alwYs find that black yarn is thicker than red even if it’s the same make. I think I has to do with the dye. You could try using a larger needle on the black and red stripes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help. I’m going to try knitting the solid black held double on one size smaller needle than the other squares.
Just at the swatching stage but the small sample seemed to work. I don’t know how to post a link or pic but the pattern is on Ravelry called Gingham Knit Blanket by Martha Stewart. I tried going a size larger on the back and re d squared but the squares get very stretchy and loose. Thanks again. Any more suggestions?

·
Registered
23,222 Posts
Knitquilt said:
I'm knitting Gingham Knit Blanket by Martha Stewart using Red Heart Soft in red and black. My strips are 22 stitches with yarn held double. So when I knit the black the strips are 8" wide but when I knit one strand black and one strand red the strip is 7 1/2" wide. So when I knit 2 strands red they will be slightly narrower than 7 1/2". When I see the strips together will this difference in width make the afghan wobbly? If so what do I do to fix this? Also the rows aren't the same the double black knit 34 rows is 7" and the red black of 34 rows are 6 1/2". So will this work out or what should I do? I'm just beginning so would I be better off getting different yarn where the different colors are the same thickness? Thanks
Since it is a blanket, typically gauge is not critical. However, it is usually best to have all yarn in the same project the same thickness. I sometimes choose to use all yarn to be same brand as well just to be certain they will work well together.
If the width of the strips are not the same...maybe the thickness (or dtape and feel) will also be different.

·
Registered
93,689 Posts
Ive had that happen before I bought some yarn the same but different colours I found some thicker than others which is ok when using only one colour but when I tried for a small jumper using 2 colours I had to frog and just use 1 colour, but for a blanket/Afghan I think it would look good together

·
Registered
359 Posts
Knitquilt said:
Those are beautiful. How big are your squares? Also what did u do around the edge?
All my blankets were done with Redheart supersaver yarn. (I know some think acrylic is awful, but it holds up beautifully, and after being washed and dried, comes out very very nice, especially for blankets ...and the price is right). The taupe blanket has been used and washed numerous times and right now the squares are measuring between six and 7 inches each. The black and white has still not been washed or used and the squares are measuring approximately six. After use, they soften and stretch. Right now, a little stiff.

I played around with edgings and borders and finally decided I liked just a simple single crochet ( but you drop down a row or two )around the edge .
Feel free to private message

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
peppered said:
I love the look of it but why didn't you just knit it all in one piece, no sewing needed?
I really don't enjoy sewing it up, but....making the individual strips is really very comfortable and enjoyable for me. Since I'm using 2 strands together, the strips are convenient to carry around, work up quickly, and so much easier to handle than the heavy blanket as you progress. Mostly I find it much simpler to do the color changes per strip rather than across the entire blanket. Just my personal choice.

·
Registered
10,983 Posts
WestieMom2 said:
I really don't enjoy sewing it up, but....making the individual strips is really very comfortable and enjoyable for me. Since I'm using 2 strands together, the strips are convenient to carry around, work up quickly, and so much easier to handle than the heavy blanket as you progress. Mostly I find it much simpler to do the color changes per strip rather than across the entire blanket. Just my personal choice.
I see.....
It's like the safe at home blanket, all strips and I have it done and can't bring myself to finish it by stitching the strips together. I hate it.
I'd rather make it in on piece but we are all different.

·
Registered
359 Posts
peppered said:
I see.....
It's like the safe at home blanket, all strips and I have it done and can't bring myself to finish it by stitching the strips together. I hate it.
I'd rather make it in on piece but we are all different.
I've admired the details of that pattern, but cannot even imagine doing all the color changes and the ends and joins involved in this. Sewing it together would be a relief after having completed the whole thing. Please post a picture when you've put it together.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom