Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
31,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, as I often do on a Wednesday, I went to the Womens group and our guest speaker was a cosmetician from one of the local pharmacies and she told us about how we should care for the 'mature age' face and then she used one of our members as her 'model' and did a facial makeover on her.
It was very good and our friend, after the demonstration was over, walked around our tables so we could 'view' the result.
We all thought she looked great but I should imagine any one of us would have had an improvement if we had 'all that make-up' on our faces!!
Needless to say 90% of us prefer the 'natural' look as we call it, and only use a little lipstick and with the cost of the 'up market' brand brand cosmetics the lady used we would have to win the Lotto to be able to afford it all
Once again we had the importance of staying out of the sun drummed into us and how we should not go outside without the best sunscreen on our faces and other parts of the body exposed to the sun.
I miss out on that as I am alergic to any sunscreen and I think I have tried them all and every one, even the ones for babies, burns my skin and I have to wash it off straight away.
I have never worn a lot of make-up so I'm afraid the cosmetic companies won't get rich from me.
Also the time it takes to apply all the cosmetics that were used this morning - 35 minutes to 'do' her face!! I'd have to get up even earlier than I do now as I'm sure with my old face I would take longer than that to even achieve the slightest noticeable result!!
All in all we enjoyed our morning and the morning tea and general chit chat that followed and of course most of all we enjoyed the laughter among friends.
We are so lucky to belong to such a group and I wish you all could have been there to share it with us.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Sounds like a fun morning. I, too, prefer the "natural" look at my age. I have a friend who is into makeup and much older than I am. All I see is cracks in the makeup as it settles into the wrinkles. LOL

·
Registered
31,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no1girl - oh dear, surely your sister in law doesn't really look like that!!!! You made me laugh as sometimes some of the women on TV look like that!!!
I also look at it this way, I don't want to look like a young 'floozie on the prowl' at my age!!!!! - - - not that I was like that when I was young!!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
My eldest daughter did a grooming course by
Suzanne Johnson in Melbourne after she had completed university. they helped her with make up application and wearing styles and colours to suit your skin. She now looks like a million dollars when she dresses up and does not waste money on clothes that do not suit her. the course was worth every cent.

·
Registered
32,355 Posts
Sewdiane said:
Sounds like a fun morning. I, too, prefer the "natural" look at my age. I have a friend who is into makeup and much older than I am. All I see is cracks in the makeup as it settles into the wrinkles. LOL
You are so right about the cracks in the makeup and the wrinkles then appear more pronounced. I once had a so called makeover at one of the department stores, of course the aim was to persuade me to buy the products. When I looked in the mirror, I was horrified and didn't recognise the old painted face, looking back at me. It was scary and I couldn't wait to get home to wash all the layers off. I'm glad I didn't have an accident on the way home as I would have probably looked a fright and maybe even looked half dead. :sm06:
Glad you had an enjoyable day Anne and lucky you in that you weren't roped into being the model. :sm09:

·
Registered
13,544 Posts
Would you believe my 5 year old GD went to a makeup birthday party a month or so ago. Each child had her face done and the take home bags were full of makeup!! The minute Eliza got out the door she asked her mum to get this stuff of my face it feels funny.

·
Registered
32,355 Posts
Sjlegrandma said:
Would you believe my 5 year old GD went to a makeup birthday party a month or so ago. Each child had her face done and the take home bags were full of makeup!! The minute Eliza got out the door she asked her mum to get this stuff of my face it feels funny.
I'm quite amazed, did your daughter know what kind of party it was? Maybe I'm an old fuddy duddy but that seems wrong when the child is only 5. Face-painting yes, but not makeup .....surely??

·
Registered
31,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am amazed at the child's make-up party too. What is wrong with the mother having such a 'do' for the 5yr old and her friends, for I reckon in this day and age children, particularly little girls grow up much too quickly!!
For goodness sake let kids be kids for a change not 'tiny adults' for men & boys to ogle at!!! - - - or am I too showing my own age??

·
Registered
13,544 Posts
ohsusana said:
I'm quite amazed, did your daughter know what kind of party it was? Maybe I'm an old fuddy duddy but that seems wrong when the child is only 5. Face-painting yes, but not makeup .....surely??
Well, yes and no. She thought they may paint their fingernails or something like that and maybe face painting. The whole party was over the top with a make up artist photographer and a chef!! It was held in a function centre and set up like a wedding reception. Totally unbelievable and over the top. My daughter thinks it would have cost at least 10K.

·
Registered
32,355 Posts
Sjlegrandma said:
Well, yes and no. She thought they may paint their fingernails or something like that and maybe face painting. The whole party was over the top with a make up artist photographer and a chef!! It was held in a function centre and set up like a wedding reception. Totally unbelievable and over the top. My daughter thinks it would have cost at least 10K.
Gosh, whatever happened to pin the tail on the donkey and pass the parcel ? It's going to be a hard act to follow for future parties isn't it? Sounds like the parents have got more money than sense. By the way, were any little boys invited?

·
Registered
13,544 Posts
ohsusana said:
Gosh, whatever happened to pin the tail on the donkey and pass the parcel ? It's going to be a hard act to follow for future parties isn't it? Sounds like the parents have got more money than sense. By the way, were any little boys invited?
No, there were no boys. That birthday girl will get a shock when she attends my GD 6 Th party in a couple of weeks. Good old fashion fun will be on the menu. Someone has to bring a stop to this.

·
Registered
27,124 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. I agree with you that a lot of makeup is not the way to go. When I see old ladies pass me in the store that are wearing a lot of makeup I feel sorry that they cannot see how awful it makes them look.

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
Sjlegrandma said:
Sounds a bit suss to me. But what would I know!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom