Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
1,093 Posts
ohsusana said:
Gosh, whatever happened to pin the tail on the donkey and pass the parcel ? It's going to be a hard act to follow for future parties isn't it? Sounds like the parents have got more money than sense.
I agree. It really is 'keeping-up-with-the-Joneses' gone mad!!! I can't understand why every birthday has to be a BIG event. My daughters only invited friends on special birthdays - 5th, 10th, 16th, 18th & 21st. All the rest were just our immediate or extended family celebrations.

· Registered
1,595 Posts
A major problem is that most of the big cosmetics firms still use animal testing. Some try to disguise this by saying the finished products aren't animal tested, which may well be true but the ingredients have usually been tested separately and are not cruelty-free.
There can be no excuse for this, there are already more than enough beauty products in the world, why do we need yet another lash-extending mascara or 'age-defying' skin products?

· Registered
784 Posts
My children were born in the 80's and 90's...for birthdays, I'd send a treat to school for the class, then they could invite as many friends as they were old for a children's party on a Saturday. They played games, had prizes and balloons, the birthday child opened presents and I served cake or cup cakes and ice cream. On Sunday, we would invite family (all older then), and have pizza, salad and party food--and a fancy cake...As they got older, sometimes the child party would be at a bowling alley, roller rink, or indoor swimming pool...same gender sleep overs with less children invited were fun too...good times! Especially memorable limbo and dancing, and boys playing football with pumpkins marking the field...we had grown an abundance of pumpkins that year! I don't remember breaking the bank, and family always brought food and enjoyed each other's company...

· Registered
13,305 Posts
I have a friend who's in her 70s and she makes up her face, uses loads of makeup and lots of rouge on her cheeks and her eyes look like black pools, bright red lipstick. I love her dearly, but she looks like a clown but she thinks she's beautiful. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Me? I go pretty much makeup free and like it that way. I used to wear eye liner but after having cataract surgery on both eyes, I ended up with dry eye (which means your eyes water, what a name) and can't even wear the eye liner any more. Just a little bit of light lipstick and I'm ready to go.

· Registered
9,943 Posts
My sister-in-law and I got collared one day in a big department store and had our faces made up . When we finally made it outside it was pouring with rain . We were laughing so hard at one another. Her face was orange with streaks where the makeup was washed off. So was mine .

· Registered
17,712 Posts
owlet said:
A major problem is that most of the big cosmetics firms still use animal testing. Some try to disguise this by saying the finished products aren't animal tested, which may well be true but the ingredients have usually been tested separately and are not cruelty-free.
There can be no excuse for this, there are already more than enough beauty products in the world, why do we need yet another lash-extending mascara or 'age-defying' skin products?
Unfortunately most of these companies sell to China, who won't import the products unless they have first been tested on animals.

· Registered
266 Posts
Some people, in my opinion, look way more beautiful without make-up. I wish I felt more comfortable in my own skin, but when I have gone w/o makeup people ask me if I'm tired. If I only had one cosmetic to use, it would be mascara. Thanks for sharing, Bundyanne!

· Registered
15,352 Posts
I wish I could have been there to enjoy your company and the program too. Sounds like fun, even though I also don't wear much makeup (a tiny bit of eye shadow and mascara - with lip stick/gloss added for a night out).

Thank you for sharing the experience with us.

· Premium Member
29,656 Posts
Sjlegrandma said:
Well, yes and no. She thought they may paint their fingernails or something like that and maybe face painting. The whole party was over the top with a make up artist photographer and a chef!! It was held in a function centre and set up like a wedding reception. Totally unbelievable and over the top. My daughter thinks it would have cost at least 10K.
most likely the birthday girl would have the most fun at an old fashioned party as sounds as if everything might be over the top at her home. kids like interaction and one another. not even play makeup was in our GDs routine, she had to ask her Mom what the Bratt dolls were as a gift to her, no tv touting "quick lets leave childhood behind" either.
we could not afford parties, 6 kids, we had a party on our 16th. surely went to parties and i do not know where the $ came from for a gift. but gifts were a little necklace or book etc. Gkids gifts start at $15-$30 plus now. DS took the girls to Build a Bear at the mall, their Mothers showed up with siblings too and stayed. of course he could not let the little ones watch and it ended up over $300. they certainly were not invited the next time, new rule, pick 1 to spend the night and go to a movie. between all 4 Gkids, they go to about 14 parties a year and are invited to even more. public parties did not start until age 7 for our Gkids, and maybe every 3 years. you could have 20 kids invited from daycare. too much too soon imho, and truth known kids do not show as some parents have no $ to spend on that many other children.

· Premium Member
29,656 Posts
Little ole me said:
Some people, in my opinion, look way more beautiful without make-up. I wish I felt more comfortable in my own skin, but when I have gone w/o makeup people ask me if I'm tired. If I only had one cosmetic to use, it would be mascara. Thanks for sharing, Bundyanne!
i do look more alive in moderate makeup, just rarely bother. anyways, nothing can conceal my really tired look ,lol!

· Registered
17,788 Posts
If you have a cracky looking face you're probably not applying the make up correctly.

A good primer will make your skin smoother (not smooth) . The trick is to try not to use too much makeup. I just ordered a tinted morturizer from Amazon. I should receive it soon. Will report back what I think.

· Registered
2,050 Posts
ohsusana said:
You are so right about the cracks in the makeup and the wrinkles then appear more pronounced. I once had a so called makeover at one of the department stores, of course the aim was to persuade me to buy the products. When I looked in the mirror, I was horrified and didn't recognise the old painted face, looking back at me. It was scary and I couldn't wait to get home to wash all the layers off. I'm glad I didn't have an accident on the way home as I would have probably looked a fright and maybe even looked half dead. :sm06:
Glad you had an enjoyable day Anne and lucky you in that you weren't roped into being the model. :sm09:
reminds me of when I did the same thing - had a "makeover" - it was a makeover alright didn't recognize myself!

· Registered
33,783 Posts
bundyanne07 said:
This morning, as I often do on a Wednesday, I went to the Womens group and our guest speaker was a cosmetician from one of the local pharmacies and she told us about how we should care for the 'mature age' face and then she used one of our members as her 'model' and did a facial makeover on her.
It was very good and our friend, after the demonstration was over, walked around our tables so we could 'view' the result.
We all thought she looked great but I should imagine any one of us would have had an improvement if we had 'all that make-up' on our faces!!
Needless to say 90% of us prefer the 'natural' look as we call it, and only use a little lipstick and with the cost of the 'up market' brand brand cosmetics the lady used we would have to win the Lotto to be able to afford it all
Once again we had the importance of staying out of the sun drummed into us and how we should not go outside without the best sunscreen on our faces and other parts of the body exposed to the sun.
I miss out on that as I am alergic to any sunscreen and I think I have tried them all and every one, even the ones for babies, burns my skin and I have to wash it off straight away.
I have never worn a lot of make-up so I'm afraid the cosmetic companies won't get rich from me.
Also the time it takes to apply all the cosmetics that were used this morning - 35 minutes to 'do' her face!! I'd have to get up even earlier than I do now as I'm sure with my old face I would take longer than that to even achieve the slightest noticeable result!!
All in all we enjoyed our morning and the morning tea and general chit chat that followed and of course most of all we enjoyed the laughter among friends.
We are so lucky to belong to such a group and I wish you all could have been there to share it with us.
A bit of "spak-filler" fixes me up....lol

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom