Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
kponsw said:
I am still not really sure what your business idea is. You started out with wanting to sell poems over the internet with no initial cost outlay. That turned into greeting cards, then not greeting cards because you have done it before. Then possibly song writing. Now it's framed or mounted hard copy poems.

Even if you have seen Facebook pages offering some sort of similar service, have you actually looked into the market interest for such products? Just because someone advertises on Facebook doesn't mean they actually sell anything. I can honestly say that I have never purchased a poem nor do I know anyone who has. Libraries have poetry books; verses can easily be found on the internet for free. It wouldn't take much effort to print and mount a poem to hang in my home, if I had the desire to do so. I don't. Although you want to think that the customer would be paying for time, creativity, and imagination, I believe the customer would think they are paying for a printed poem that has been mounted on card stock. I guess I'm saying that I don't really see much of a demand for this service, even if yours are the most lovely poems.

As for concerns of using a phone, there are plenty of people who no longer have landlines. Additionally, calls can easily be recorded on landlines as well as cell phones. If I was at all interested purchasing this type of service, I think that having to put forth this much effort to do so would put me off.

I'm sorry to be such a Debbie Downer, but these are things that have to be considered when starting a business. It's not just about what works best for you, but what will work for the customer as well.
Hi there kponsw - and thanks for your response!

* I'm NOT going into greetings cards - I was just describing how I've done it before. I additionally explained that I'd once considered approaching card manufacturers with a view to writing the verses in greetings cards but I gave examples of how images and pictures appear to be more valued than words and verses in the greetings card industry, so probably not a viable employment aim.

* I also said that I've recently acquired, free of charge, a whole stash of stationery and papercraft items which I can use for mounting my printed work. When creating something like customised poetry into a commercially sold commodity, it could be advantageous to present it as a tangible product. This is for security reasons, intellectual property is too easily plagiarised these days when online or e-mailed writings are so simple to copy/paste/alter/circulate. It is by no means foolproof, security-wise, to send out a printed product, but might slow down an inevitable possibility.

* Another KP member, laceluvr, spoke of her sister's poetry and mentioned song lyrics but said that her sister has no musical background. I responded to this by mentioning I DO have some musical background and song lyrics might be another string to my bow! But that's for the (probably distant) future.

* Finally, I KNOW that having a FaceBook business page (or even a proper website) is no indicator that the individual running the initiative ever gets any business or even if they do whether they get much money from it. At this stage, it has the potential to be a profitable hobby rather than a "business", realistically speaking - and I know the potential markets - I discovered them completely by accident after a lifetime of writing poetry. But, of course, demand overall is still very small - and with 2 or 3 others (that I know of) offering the same service, I'm not likely to get rich overnight. I just feel I may as well cash in on the possibility if there's any chance of doing so.

· Registered
7,747 Posts
Bambagirl said:
Hi there kponsw - and thanks for your response!

* I'm NOT going into greetings cards - I was just describing how I've done it before. I additionally explained that I'd once considered approaching card manufacturers with a view to writing the verses in greetings cards but I gave examples of how images and pictures appear to be more valued than words and verses in the greetings card industry, so probably not a viable employment aim.

* I also said that I've recently acquired, free of charge, a whole stash of stationery and papercraft items which I can use for mounting my printed work. When creating something like customised poetry into a commercially sold commodity, it could be advantageous to present it as a tangible product. This is for security reasons, intellectual property is too easily plagiarised these days when online or e-mailed writings are so simple to copy/paste/alter/circulate. It is by no means foolproof, security-wise, to send out a printed product, but might slow down an inevitable possibility.

* Another KP member, laceluvr, spoke of her sister's poetry and mentioned song lyrics but said that her sister has no musical background. I responded to this by mentioning I DO have some musical background and song lyrics might be another string to my bow! But that's for the (probably distant) future.

* Finally, I KNOW that having a FaceBook business page (or even a proper website) is no indicator that the individual running the initiative ever gets any business or even if they do whether they get much money from it. At this stage, it has the potential to be a profitable hobby rather than a "business", realistically speaking - and I know the potential markets - I discovered them completely by accident after a lifetime of writing poetry. But, of course, demand overall is still very small - and with 2 or 3 others (that I know of) offering the same service, I'm not likely to get rich overnight. I just feel I may as well cash in on the possibility if there's any chance of doing so.
Generating a bit of income from a hobby is always 'nice work if you can get it.' :sm17: It looks like you do have your eyes open to the realities of this type of endeavor. Would it be worthwhile to look into small (read low entry costs) craft fairs? Possibly through local schools and churches? Maybe having a booth or table with a few examples of your work could generate interest or orders for you? You could print up a few 'business cards' with contact information. Just a thought, and I wish you good luck.

· Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
kponsw said:
Generating a bit of income from a hobby is always 'nice work if you can get it.' :sm17: It looks like you do have your eyes open to the realities of this type of endeavor. Would it be worthwhile to look into small (read low entry costs) craft fairs? Possibly through local schools and churches? Maybe having a booth or table with a few examples of your work could generate interest or orders for you? You could print up a few 'business cards' with contact information. Just a thought, and I wish you good luck.
Craft fairs in my area run a little expensive (for buyers AND sellers) but my best bet might be to latch on to a friend running a stall at one and offer to help them out for free (i.e. I don't contribute anything towards the rental but give physical help to my friend for whatever he/she's selling - whilst taking the initiative of marketing my own product, distributing leaflets perhaps?).

Schools and Churches (maybe Community Centres too) might be a way forward.

Since the Wedding business provides many potential customers, having cards put in Bridal outfitter shops, florists, photographers etc ... could be useful. I'm always happy to take a few of THEIR cards to distribute in exchange! Entering a wedding dress shop nowadays there's a whole rack of cards from other traders in the wedding business.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom