Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I wondered if anyone buys yarn online and if they have a favorite site that they use....
Also...is there a certain type of yarn to use when crocheting an afghan?
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
Sure, I buy online: Ebay, Hobby lobby, etc. I rather like Ebay as it sells worldwide and you don't have to leave home, right? LOL!! Could be addictive, though. ((;

I do like to get into a good LYS, though to feel, smell and examine yarn, browze..........and buy! I'm really addicted to accessories, too!

Afghans can be made of many yarns, really. It depends on who it's for, size, intended uses........all those things.

For a baby, I'm into Baby Bee's 50-50% cotton-acrylic which is about like ww in weight, it's stretchy and doesn't have any annoying nap to get into baby's face, etc. The color choices aren't just for baby, either.

My last asghan was realy, really big and I used Epais' colorfusion yarn from Turkey sold at Hobby Lobby but my color has been discontinued. The have four other colors, though and at $18.00 a big skein and it took 10 skeins.

I covered a pillow after buying two more and have a skein left to cover the other two pillows. It's bulky weight, sorta and a little nubby. I used a size P hook on it, it's as long as the couch, wide, great country colors that don't variegate but just start changing after a long set of rows.

I didn't knit anything with it. but if I don't cover those pillows, I have enough left for at least a 6-pak of something else! LOL!!

You might check Hobby Lobby for their ILTY (I Love This Yarn), a softer ww and it's far better than ww + it now comes in sport weight and cotton. ILTY would make a warm and soft afghan.

TTYL!
~~~~~~
Hello everyone!

I wondered if anyone buys yarn online and if they have a favorite site that they use....
Thanks![/quote]

·
Registered
26,796 Posts
Hi Janny. Yes I buy online. Ebay is my preference. Be careful not to overbid and always remember there is the postage price to add on also. I'm addicted!!!! Got a wardrobe full of yarn. I still like to go into the shops and see and feel the yarn, and my pal drags me out before I buy any more. Ive found a site called "yarndex" which shows you how much the type of yarn would be in store. I've found using ebay that I can buy good quality yarn at low prices. Enjoy

·
Registered
978 Posts
janny said:
Hello everyone!

Thanks!
Hi Janny
I use smileysyarns.com; herrschnerrs.com; marymaxim.com; anniesattic.com
Smileys Yarns is a discount yarn shop out of New York. I have always enjoyed that company

Linda (Sebastian - Fla)

·
Registered
776 Posts
janny said:
Hello everyone!

Thanks!
google knitting yarns and try all the sites to see what their sales section is like. I have found a few good sites but they are in the UK so might not send to USA' They also e-mail me when they have a sale on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am a long time knitter and seller of yarn on line. When buying on line you need to consider a few things. Yarn used for an afghan is usually a Worsted Weight or Aran Weight yarn. It is also listed as Medium 4 by certain distributors. You may be able to use a DK weight, but your finished afghan may be a tad smaller and lighter.

You want to match the Yardage listed on your pattern to yardage listed on each skein. In other words, if your pattern calls for 800 yards and the skein lists 200 yards per skein you will need to purchase 4 skeins. If your pattern only gives a brand/name of yarn you can go to www.yarndex.com to find the yardage of the particular brand listed in your pattern. Careful online yarn sellers will give you the information in the listing.

You also want to check on the care instructions and apply them to your situation. If you are making the afghan for yourself and don't mind washing it by hand, any yarn will do. However if you are giving it to your bachelor brother or grandson going to college, make sure the yarn is machine washable. Many of the wools made for afghans are super wash and can be tossed in a machine.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I buy most of my yarn online at knittingwarehouse.com. They have wonderful customer service and the yarn arrives in about 4 - 5 days at most. You can buy name brand yarn - lion brand, patons, berrocco, etc. at discount prices. I have checked alot of different online places (except ebay, hadn't thought of that) and they beat everyone's prices. I love that site.

·
Registered
5 Posts
inaspintx said:
I am a long time knitter and seller of yarn on line. When buying on line you need to consider a few things. Yarn used for an afghan is usually a Worsted Weight or Aran Weight yarn. It is also listed as Medium 4 by certain distributors. You may be able to use a DK weight, but your finished afghan may be a tad smaller and lighter.

You want to match the Yardage listed on your pattern to yardage listed on each skein. In other words, if your pattern calls for 800 yards and the skein lists 200 yards per skein you will need to purchase 4 skeins. If your pattern only gives a brand/name of yarn you can go to www.yarndex.com to find the yardage of the particular brand listed in your pattern. Careful online yarn sellers will give you the information in the listing.

You also want to check on the care instructions and apply them to your situation. If you are making the afghan for yourself and don't mind washing it by hand, any yarn will do. However if you are giving it to your bachelor brother or grandson going to college, make sure the yarn is machine washable. Many of the wools made for afghans are super wash and can be tossed in a machine.
thanks a bunch for the yarndex website... that helps out alot when trying to find another yarn to substitute

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom