Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have enjoyed this forum and never thought I would be asking for help, but I do need advice. I saw a beautiful cable afghan in a yarn catalog. It is a club of the month. It is very expensive (yarn is cheaper in my LYS and there is monthly shipping). I don't want to take 10 months to assemble the supplies. I would like to make it on my own. Can anyone suggest a book with sample of cable stitches? I have been doing lots of cable patterns, but I would like some very "special" ones.
Thanks for any suggestions you can send my way.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
mela said:
I have enjoyed this forum and never thought I would be asking for help, but I do need advice. I saw a beautiful cable afghan in a yarn catalog. It is a club of the month. It is very expensive (yarn is cheaper in my LYS and there is monthly shipping). I don't want to take 10 months to assemble the supplies. I would like to make it on my own. Can anyone suggest a book with sample of cable stitches? I have been doing lots of cable patterns, but I would like some very "special" ones.
Thanks for any suggestions you can send my way.
The Barbara Walker Treasuries of Knitting Stitches are a great resource---you might find one of them in your local library. And, do some searches online for various cable stitches---might hit pay dirt. :) :) :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
There are so many books you can get. I have a book called Field Guide to Knitting, I purchased from Knitpicks. I also have a really old book call the Encyclopedia of knitting.Both books are really good.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
mela-I have a book called Inspired Cable Knits by Fiona Ellis that has many different cables in it. Also, Have you tried the Lion Brand site. I believe they have some afghans made with cables in their pattern section-their patterns are free and you can use whatever yarn you'd like.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
VOGUE website has a "Stitchionary" with all kinds of stitches.
"Purple Kitty" website has a section of 100 "squares", both crochet and knit, to choose from.
<KnittingFool.com> also has oodles of stitches with pictures, stitch and row counts.
I use these free sites to "gussie up" my stockingnette allatime.
Have fun!

·
Registered
15,145 Posts
Leisure Arts 99 knit stitches (Annie's Attic) has several cable patterns. Of course you will have to do the math to figure out how many stitches you will need for complete patterns and the size of your afghan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked out all of your suggestions. Bought the Vogue cable vol 2. Love it! Just what I was looking for--samples of cables. Lots of them. The quality of the book is excellent. A pleasure to read. The vogue website has lots of great samples too. The book has text(which I prefer) & charts. I also bought Leisure arts. Fewer samples,but my daughter will love it.
thanks for all of your suggestion

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They finally offered the Afghan as a total package. If you purchase on line there is free shipping since it is over $50. Also found a code in my ck mag for 15% off. Afghan is still pricey but I just can't resist.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom