Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, or when knitting do the cable stitches seem tighter than the regular stitches?
Is there something I need to be doing to make them feel like my regular stitches?

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
kikifields said:
Is it just me, or when knitting do the cable stitches seem tighter than the regular stitches?
Is there something I need to be doing to make them feel like my regular stitches?
Cables do "pull in". You can expect a 6 st cable to be narrower than 6 sts of stockinette or garter. It's the nature of the animal...

When working a cabled scarf, the borders above and below the cable need to have a few less sts, or they will "ruffle" there, as they will be a bit wider than the cable, with the same number of sts.

Also, take into consideration how often the cable is turned. A cable that is only turned every 12 rows will be softer than one that is turned every 4 rows. The closer the "twists", the tighter the cable.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yes, they are tighter and some patterns don't work out well for me as they are written. I have to use a bigger size needle by 1 or 2 sizes so the knitted fabric is not too stiff and in the case of ribbing at the beginning of a hat or sweater or the ribbing is bigger around than the cabled part. I think I must pull too tight on the cable row. Still learning after all these years. lol

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
StitchDesigner said:
Ever get your knickers twisted? Did they suddenly feel tight? Cables twist your knitting. Same deal.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thats one way of putting it. Thank you for the chuckle. I really needed one today. Bad start and dosen't look any better at work now. :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( But I will get through it without a doubt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom