Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm preparing to knit an Aran style cable vest for the Fall. The instructions start out to cast on 91 sts on a size 5 (3.34mm needle). After the ribbing, I am to increase 35 sts evenly across (118sts total). This is a slightly blouson-style top.

I'm don't know how many stitches to work before the increasing, so I thought if I divided the 118 by 35, I might be able to work that out. So, it comes out to 3.37. And I would increase every 3-4 sts. Is this correct?

Thanks for your input. Hope everyone is well and safe. TC

Eileen

·
Registered
21,436 Posts
First, 91 + 35 = 126.

Then, using the calculator that margoc linked to, it would be.

K1, (M1, k2) 7x, (M1, k3) 21x, (M1, k2) 6x, M1, k1

7 + 21 + 6 + 1 = 35 increases

Be sure to bookmark that link. There are inst. for even increases and decreases there.

You'll have to redo the calculations if you are in fact supposed to have 118 st. after the increases.

·
Registered
14,692 Posts
Thank you Margoc and DanielS for the links, I will bookmark this page.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, you are right about the 126 sts (I misread the size).

On a m1 increase, there are two choices: picky up a stitch between the needle and next stitch. Or, k1 and incr before the next stitch. The m1 tends to leave "holes" and I think that doesn't look as nice as the normal increase that makes 2 sts out of 1. Which would you suggest I use?

The link is quite helpful. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
If you insert the left needle from front to back for the bar between the just knitted stitch and the next one, and then knit through the back, it twists the stitch and the hole is less if not at all.

You can also go the other way, insert the LN from back to front and then knit thru the front... again twists the stitch and there is little if any hole.

Another make one is to knit through the back and then the front of the next stitch kbf .... there's also kfb but I feel like it can leave a small hole.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom