Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My aunt in N. Y. had a beautiful black cat, William, who spent days outside and came in at night. One cool October evening, he disappeared. My Aunt searched in vain.
The following spring, William reappeared, looking healthy and clean. Everything was back to normal, until autumn, when he disappeared again, only to return in spring. Perplexed, my aunt began asking neighbors for clues.
Finally, she rang the bell of an elderly couple. "A black cat?" she said. "Oh, yes. My husband and I hated to see him out in the cold, so we bought a cat carrier, and we take him to Florida every winter."

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi M..hope all went well today. I know you won't have results yet. Both of you hang in there and know you're in our hearts. The cat story was for y'all to have a little chuckle when you got back home. My cats were indoor/outdoor, but you can bet they were inside at night! Hildy

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Loistec..your cat is beautiful! Kind? Age? Name? Fill in the blanks, please. Hildy

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
This is funny only because it had a happy ending. It is disturbing that the older couple never tried to find the cats home. It was obviously a well cared for being which should have rung a bell with them. And the cat would immediately come home every Spring would have been another clue.

All my cats have always been in/outdoor beings. I can't bear to close them up in the house when they so love being outdoors. I feel I provide a comforting refuge for them when they need to be in a safe, warm, out of the elements spot. And they all love it that way. My current housemate is now about 9 yrs old. He had lived outdoors for several years before I took him home. He has adjusted well and loves it here but also still prides himself on his hunting skills and just loves his Freedom. I could never deprive him. We are alike that way.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
cute story, but what I would be afraid of is if this cat was left outside in Florida and he wondered off or was picked up by someone else! The cat would have been lost out there! It's a blessing they were able to keep him well and with them while they went to Florida!! :)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Bye the way, here is my baby that adoped me and my family! His name is Bela and he was abandoned in the neighborhood about 7 years ago...he now has a "permanent" home on our front porch w/a house that I placed a nice pillow and blankets for him to keep him warm and toasty during our winter months, and he's fed every day....I have grown very, very fond of my Bela :)

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
A happy ending to a lost cat story! My favorite cat disappeared right after my Mom passed away. I truly mourned for both of them. After 2 months in the dead of winter. a wonderful lady who lives 12 miles away called and said she had Bailey and please come to get him . (his embroidered collar and tag had his name and out phone number on them). He wandered into her yard and she fed him and kept him in a carrier while she tried to reach us. (We were out of town working on Mom's estate)My poor kitty had lost 3 pounds and was bony, and scared but ok. I will always remember that wonderful lady!
It seems there are lots of knitters who love cats..Cheryl Fry

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
My current feline boarder is very proud of his independence and ability to 'take care of himself.' I work sometimes with an animal communicator which is always fun and interesting. So my cat has told me how much he LOVES his freedom. He loves being here with me, but says he would just as easily move on if I weren't here. I don't know how true that is anymore because he is also a bit of blowhard so I think that is his defense for another abandonment in life. They have great stories--all of them

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, you gals, it was supposed to be a cute story..let's not analyze it to death. When I first read it, I too, wondered why she hadn't contacted the "elder couple" the first year..then I decided, the cat was vacationing in Fl. instead of cold N.Y.! I'm pleased that so many showed such caring and kindness, but I already knew that about you. There are 3 cats that walk the top of my fence occasionally, but every time I say "would you like to live with me?" they skedaddle! Just passing thru..darn! All 3 are beautiful, clean and look healthy, so I'll let them be. Did anybody see the cat GMA yesterday? They showed a cat that is in it's 8th home because of his loud purr..and boy, was he loud! They can ship him to me..Love to all you kind people..Hildy

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can see why..that's one beautiful cat..look at those eyes! Very good picture, too.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
what a good laugh. that always makes my day!
Also what a nice thread it makes me think of my Boots, who passed 8 years ago. I had her for 13 years, she was a stray that my son found and brought home to me.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
we also have coyotes where we live and lost our beautiful gray Maine **** to them. Our second kitty is strictly indoor. The only problem with this is she doesn't get any exercise and is on the ... ahem ... pudgy side. Tried putting a collar and leash on her and taking her for a walk. Was like trying to walk a pig who didn't want to.

Hoping the attached picture of Herman shows up

Attachments

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom