Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asked to knit a cardigan and hat for a baby boy. It seems this baby's dad is a big hunter and the baby room is being decorated in camouflage ... lol ... to each his own.

The pattern I am using calls for worsted weight yarn and I have been asked to knit it in camouflage. I bought some Red Heart Camouflage yesterday at Hobby Lobby and didn't pay much attention to it until I got home. That's when I discovered that it feels like tree bark! Ugh! So I took it back today and bought some of Hobby Lobby brand I Love That Yarn. It is a bit softer but still hard on the fingers to knit with and not nearly as soft as I would like for a baby sweater.

I have searched Cascade, Patons, Caron, Bernet and Berroco and no camouflage to be found there.

Do any of you know of any other worsted weight camouflage yarn out there? Since it is for baby, I would prefer that it be washable.

Thanks!

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
My major complaint about red Heart and probably why Walmart has lowered the price this week, peramanently... The Hobby Lobby brand is definitely better... but both will soften up when washed... I don't know.... Red Heart does[/b[ make a SOFT yarn, but I don't know if they have it in camo..... Maybe make a little swatch of the yarn you bought and wash it to see if it is soft enough for you...

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
I made afghans out of redheart camofor the boys in my life,it was a bit scratchy but after i washed them they became very soft.I've not had any complaints about them,all the boys love them.,and take them to camp. :-D

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
joeysomma said:
I am using Bernat Camo for an afghan for a grandson. It is softer than the red heart. It was in my stash so I do not remember where I got it.
Yes, I saw that Bernat did have two different Camo yarns -- Outback and Renegade -- but they are discontinued. I found some on ebay, but not enough.

So, based on what I have gotten in replies, I'm going to go ahead and knit the sweater with the Hobby Lobby Camo and then wash it and see what I think.

I am surprised that more yarn in the Camo is not available since Camo has been popular for several years now.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I made a baby pullover and diaper cover out of Red Heart Cammo. Yes, it was scratchy to knit with but after washing and drying, it became very soft. Still looks great.
Patty Sutter said:
Red Heart has a camo yarn. I know a lot of people dislike Red Heart, but it is very sturdy, and a lot of times are the only company to have the colors I want. :D

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
frannie di said:
http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/knitting/yarn/LornasLaces/Honor.asp?specPCVID=22511
m2hvnfn said:
I found a chunky weight camo yarn from Bernat at this site: http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/060927.html
I did see both of these when I was searching earlier.

The Lornas Lace is gorgeous yarn ... BUT (a big BUT here) it is $25 per hank ... not a price I am even willing to pay for a baby sweater for someone I don't know! (Plus there is the care factor with it too for a baby garment.)

I also saw the Bernat chunky but the pattern calls for worsted and worsted is about as heavy as I will go for a baby sweater.

Thank you both for the links, but I have decided to forge ahead with the I Love This Yarn and see how it washes up when I am finished.

·
Banned
21,595 Posts
I just knitted with Bernat Handicrafter cotton in camo. Don't know what weight this yarn is but really lovely to knit with and soft enough for a baby. Is machine washable and dryable too.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
frannie di said:
http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/knitting/yarn/LornasLaces/Honor.asp?specPCVID=22511
I followed this link to jimmy bean wool. The $25.00 amt., is that per skein? Depending on the item being made, and yardage per skein, how could anyone possibly make a sweater, blanket, etc.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
My sis bought my nephew blue jeans when he was a few months old.. I thought the same thing... the ones she got had a flannel linning so I felt better about that and he had a pair that looked like jean material but was much softer.. I hope that baby's jeans were 'baby skin' friendly..:)

Red Heart softens up wonderfully and I am sure the yarn you got will soften up also.. there must be something in the mass production that makes it rough on the hands.. use liquid fabric softener and it will be even more soft... best of luck with the camo sweater I bet it will be adorable..

cakes said:
No idea about the yarns, but I saw a baby three weeks old wearing blue jeans....I thought that was rough on tender little legs.

·
Registered
693 Posts
peachy51 said:
I have been asked to knit a cardigan and hat for a baby boy. It seems this baby's dad is a big hunter and the baby room is being decorated in camouflage ... lol ... to each his own.

The pattern I am using calls for worsted weight yarn and I have been asked to knit it in camouflage. I bought some Red Heart Camouflage yesterday at Hobby Lobby and didn't pay much attention to it until I got home. That's when I discovered that it feels like tree bark! Ugh! So I took it back today and bought some of Hobby Lobby brand I Love That Yarn. It is a bit softer but still hard on the fingers to knit with and not nearly as soft as I would like for a baby sweater.

I have searched Cascade, Patons, Caron, Bernet and Berroco and no camouflage to be found there.

Do any of you know of any other worsted weight camouflage yarn out there? Since it is for baby, I would prefer that it be washable.

Thanks!
Hi, I bought some the other day @ Magic Mart in WV.. It is Red Heart Super Saver.. $2.99 here...That was the green and brown camo...They also have the pink camo and also has the pink camo @ Wal mart..Also red heart...Thanks :)

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
As others have said, Red Heart will wash up nice and soft with a little fabric softener. RH also makes camo in sport weight.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Peachy51-Patons Classic Merino/Wool did have a camo colorway and as far as I know, still does. I bought some skeins of it at either Michaels or Joann's. How much do you need? PM me if you can't find it. Denise

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom