Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
My grandfather died over sixty years ago, and my brother came across a box of his ”stuff.” Among WW I memorabilia, postcards home to his fiancé (my grandmother), cigarette cases, etc., we found this item. Is it a pair of scissors? Pliers? It’s made from a solid piece of wood…his father and grandfather were tailors in Canada in the early to mid-nineteenth century. I’m hanging them in my sewing room, but just wondered if anyone had any insight!

I don't see how scissors or pliers made of wood would work. They are very decorative, so I would just hang them and admire them.

That is cool! It reminds me of some wood "pliers" that a company called Warther cutlery in Dover, Ohio makes. Good luck finding more info!!

I think I would frame it and proudly show it off
More of your answers come from your posting here with nice pictures

I agree with beaz. Those (whatever they turn out to be) deserve to be framed. They are almost or maybe even over 100 years old.

My grandfather died over sixty years ago, and my brother came across a box of his ”stuff.” Among WW I memorabilia, postcards home to his fiancé (my grandmother), cigarette cases, etc., we found this item. Is it a pair of scissors? Pliers? It’s made from a solid piece of wood…his father and grandfather were tailors in Canada in the early to mid-nineteenth century. I’m hanging them in my sewing room, but just wondered if anyone had any insight!
Possibly for turning the corners and the points on lapels and collars.

I think I would frame it and proudly show it off
More of your answers come from your posting here with nice pictures
My husband and I went to that museum a few years back, it is amazing! The trains were mind blowing!!

I am thinking they were a carving exercise. The way the handles hinge it prevents the user from putting any force at all on the pliers jaws.

The only thing I could think they might be used for would be hair curlers. If you put elastic bands around the spots where the handles pivot it would allow you to close the jaws but limit how hard. Might be good for curling hair.

My grandfather died over sixty years ago, and my brother came across a box of his ”stuff.” Among WW I memorabilia, postcards home to his fiancé (my grandmother), cigarette cases, etc., we found this item. Is it a pair of scissors? Pliers? It’s made from a solid piece of wood…his father and grandfather were tailors in Canada in the early to mid-nineteenth century. I’m hanging them in my sewing room, but just wondered if anyone had any insight! View attachment 1300001 View attachment 1300002
It looks like perhaps your grandfather liked to whittle. My grandfather-in-law loved to whittle things, and made all sorts of items out of one piece of wood, including very similar scissors. He was a watchmaker, and very clever with his hands. There are many, many of his carvings being passed down to the younger generation, who never even knew Grampa except through his many carvings. By the way, Grammy and Grampa were married more than 75 years, and lived until almost 100 years old (each!).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom