Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I make felted hats to help supplement our income. I have made many but I continue to have holes in the rim area where I do as instructed and do a make 1 increase. (insert left needle from front to back , under horizontal strand between stitches) then it says knit this loop through the back? I'm not sure I'm doing this correctly it's the way I do all such increases. Maybe that's the problem?
Would very much appreicate your help.

·
Premium Member
13,044 Posts
If you are picking up the running strand the way you describe and are knitting through the back of the loop then this twists the stitch so as to prevent a hole. (If you don't twist it, then you've basically just created a tight YO in the row below, which makes a hole.)

M1 can have a either a right or left twist. Yours is the left twist version. Here is a video demo:

Here is a demo of the right twist version:

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
they really just want an increase, and if you're felting the hat, it won't show anyway (the style of increase, i mean). My favorite increase is to pick up the loop from the next stitch but from the row below.....pick it up with the tip of your right needle, place it on the left needle and then knit, as normal....now knit the stitch that was on your needle in the first place and continue on....these two stitches are referred to as the mother (row below) and daughter (on the needle)....there is no hole at all and you really can't see it unless the yarn is bulky....good luck...love to see some of your hats....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom