Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knitted a sweater for my granddaughter. It is a very simple pattern, but I have struggled with knitting it since the very beginning.

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kkc-blocksAndStripesPullover.html?noImages=

First I bought more expensive, nicer cotton yarn. Then I found I could not get the gauge unless I went from an sz 8 needle to a 5. So, since I had invested in so much yarn, I revamped the entire pattern to make it fit. I finally finished knitting all the pieces and Im in the process of assembling. I sewed the shoulders and put on the rolled neck. Now I'm worried that the sweater may not fit over GDs head! My GD lives in LA and I can't try it on her. It did go over a 15 lb, exercise kettle ball. I can take out the neck and shoulders and rework a so the neck hole is bigger just in case, or I can finish it off and take my changes. Finally, my question. If I finished it and it did not fit, is it possible to just take out the rolled neck, make a larger neckline by using the sewing machine to sew the outline for a bigger neckline, (I think this is called steeking) cut it larger, then pick up and knit a new rolled neck. This way I wouldn't have to take the entire sweater apart. It may fit her, but if it doesn't, I'll have to take the entire sweater apart, or my other back up plan would be to do the steeking thing if it would work on cotton and not on a sweater that is knit in the round. Am I as clear as mud? My first sweater, ugh! but, I'm learning. Any ideas of how to proceed.

·
Registered
38,192 Posts
I would leave one shoulder seam unsewn and put a few tiny press studs there!

I never use cotton because i cannot get the tension correct, because there is no stretch in the yarn.

cheers

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cakes said:

I never use cotton because i cannot get the tension correct, because there is no stretch in the yarn.

cheers
Yes, I'm finding out from reading that cotton might not have been the best choice, tho that's what was called for and she is sensitive to wool. I also read that bamboo yarn can be whimpy and stretchy. Kind of limits choices. Maybe a combo like Cotton/acrylic.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
scottybearNSW said:
I agree with Cakes. You could leave one shoulder undone, an either put press studs there, or even crochet around the shoulder seam and put buttons and loops.
Good idea. I don't know if I am good enough to figure out how to do that. Maybe I can find a pattern that tells how.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
JoyceLofton said:
scottybearNSW said:
I agree with Cakes. You could leave one shoulder undone, an either put press studs there, or even crochet around the shoulder seam and put buttons and loops.
Good idea. I don't know if I am good enough to figure out how to do that. Maybe I can find a pattern that tells how.
Try Youtube. They seem to have videos for everything. You would just do a row of DC (your SC) I think then turn and go back. On the button side just do more DC but on the other side, you would put loops about every 3 or 4 DC (depending on the length of the shoulder seam).

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
cakes said:

cheers
I agree with all this. Under no circumstances would I try steeking. One of my granddaughter's had a largish head and I always left one shoulder open and put buttons and button loops there.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Before I send a sweater to the grandkids, I make sure it fits over my own head. Then I know it will work for them. On an embarrassing number of sweaters, I've had to frog the rolled neck and do it again picking up more stitches and casting off with a much larger needle.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Is it possible for you to have the child's mother measure her head circumference for you? Then you could try pulling it on over a melon or ball of that same size.

Maybe all this concern is totally unnecessary.

Otherwise, all else failing, the button/snapped shoulder sounds like a sensible way to go. My only thought about this style is that it often does not lay on the shoulder correctly and the owner just will not wear it often.

Joyce also has a good idea--putting it on over your own head. In Joyce's avatar, it looks like she does V-neck sweaters. A good way to go for next time!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom