Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to knit my son mittens using a washable wool (I haven't purchased the yarn yet). I want to put one stripe in the cuff. Would it be a problem to use acrylic yarn for the stripe (left over from another project)? Thanks.

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
I think it's going to work just fine.

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
I do it all the time. I just make sure that all the fibers I use are compatible with whatever washing technique you will use. My latest project is "hot water bottle cover" that i posted within the last week. i used washable wool for the majority of the bag, and mixed collection of leftover yarns for the tree and ground (mix of wool and acrylic) and mostly acrylic for embroidery.

·
Registered
52,611 Posts
Only a problem if it needs a different wahing technique- and probably only then if likely too felt and as you plan to us a washable wool don't see any problesms- assuming of course you are using the same weight yarn (or at least similar- and if it is a little different it just is a design feature. But too different and it willl pull or 'bulge').

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
While I've seen many pieces made with different gauge yarns, I would suggest keeping the gauge the same - in other words, no problem from what you described. As others have mentioned, you should try to keep the washing instructions the same - acrylic is machine washable, and you mentioned the wool you are using is machine washable as well.

However, if you should ever find yourself using yarns with different washing care instructions, then treat the whole finished item as if it were all done in the most gentle one... that is, if you mix a hand washable yarn with a machine washable yarn, you should hand wash the whole finished item.

My first sentence, I mentioned the gauge - you can mix this, but there are different ways of handling it - you can change stitch count and needle size, or you can change fabric density and drape, depending on how you want the finished design to be - - I've seen items (garments, afghans, art pieces) that will use a thinner yarn in sections that become open lacy bits. And I've seen items where the sections have been knit on different needles and at gauges more suited the yarns used for the different sections. All end up looking great!! Of course, this doesn't pertain to a simple stripe section on the cuff of a mitten, but I thought it worth mentioning for future reference :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just remember, even if it's a different weight, color, washing style, or whatever makes you ask if it is ok, no one is going to come to you and say, "You did that wrong!". It is your project and no matter what you have been led to believe, the "yarn police" do not come to the house and take away any suspicious knitting!! Have fun with what you are doing, and enjoy your projects. Don't let anyone convince you that you are doing it wrong.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, I have knitted fingerless mittens for my grandies, they wanted rainbows, so I used all my scraps of acrylic wool.Ive also done many toys in stripes of different colours with acrylic, & all have turned out well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom