Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knitted what was supposed to be a cowl, blocked as required but is too small, too tight. The wool is baby alpaca. My question, since it is blocked, is it possible to unravel/frog then dampen and use again? I have several other skeins from the same dye lot same supplier etc. and would like to incorporate the blocked wool with the unused wool. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jessica-Jean said:
If the yarn hasn't physically changed (i.e.: felted/shrunken), and you are able to unravel it, there's no reason not to reuse it. Our grandmothers did that all the time!
Should I wet again or just use as is?

·
Premium Member
81,343 Posts
pheonas said:
Should I wet again or just use as is?
Your choice. Tradition teaches to re-skein, wash, and re-wind into a ball before re-use. However, I've done that and I've also just re-knit straight from the item being unraveled - with no visible difference once the finished item is washed. That said, please note that I normally knit on the tight side. I don't know if my normal tension is a factor or not.

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
I recently frogged a Noro sweater after blocking it. I re-skeined the yarn (make sure you tie the skeins in a few places), gently washed in woolite (you can use a little shampoo and conditioner) and hung up to dry. I then re-balled. It came out great. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
dirgni said:
If the cowl was knitted on circular needles it cannot be saved. If it was knitted on 2 needles you could knit another piece of 3 to 4 inches and sew it together again.
Please let us know.
Please explain why you can't use it if it was on circulars?

·
Premium Member
81,343 Posts
lneighbors3 said:
helenlou said:
dirgni said:
If the cowl was knitted on circular needles it cannot be saved. If it was knitted on 2 needles you could knit another piece of 3 to 4 inches and sew it together again.
Please let us know.
Please explain why you can't use it if it was on circulars?
I confess my confusion with this also. Please clarify.

Lynne
Me too!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was knit on two needles not circular.
I also thought about adding on to the end/s but decided I did not like the design enough to do that.
I will unravel wet as described and rewind and hope I like the next project.
Thank you all for your input and help, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I re-use yarn all the time. My husband groans when he sees me ripping out something I don't like and rewinding the yarn. He says, "Good Grief, Woman! Don't tear out your work, go buy new yarn!" HA! He doesn't get it that I feel very good when I turn something I don't like back into the potential for something I DO like. Plus, I don't get the part about not re-using yarn if something is done on circular needles. Why ever not?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I just took a sweater apart completly that I knit last yr. It was way to big. I unraveled it by wrapping on my swift, tied it together and soaked in cool water for 30 mins, hung to dry and then rewound it. It came out like new yarn. It was ultra alpaca.
I re-use yarn that was knitted on circular needles all the time. I never use straight needles.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Dohuga said:
I re-use yarn all the time. My husband groans when he sees me ripping out something I don't like and rewinding the yarn. He says, "Good Grief, Woman! Don't tear out your work, go buy new yarn!" HA! He doesn't get it that I feel very good when I turn something I don't like back into the potential for something I DO like. Plus, I don't get the part about not re-using yarn if something is done on circular needles. Why ever not?
I'm with you! This is what makes knitting such a great craft -- if you mess up or don't like it, you don't have to toss the supplies like you do in sewing or most other crafts.
If I have a new project in mind for yarn I've just knit with I don't even bother unraveling first. I knit from the previous project, unraveling as I go. It's always worked... so far. Oh, for what its worth, I work mostly on circulars.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
One person said it couldn't be "reused" if it was done on circulars, but could if knit back and forth on two needles - she really misled. What she was trying to communicate was that if the cowl was done on two needles then seamed, that one could simply open the seam, knit some more onto the piece, then reseam it to make it bigger, since the original question stated the cowl was too small. If the cowl had been knit in a circular fashion, that "fix" wouldn't work...

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
dirgni said:
Please let us know.
I can't imagine why circular needles would make one bit of difference, it all still unravels (she did say she was going to unravel it).

Please explain your thinking.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom