Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a huge cone of the most beautiful fine yarn. everything was 75% off and the store owner said I'd get sick of the yarn before id ever run out..its a fine cream yarn with a black thread wrapped around it. this yarn came with no info.she said it had numbers only machine knitters would understand & instead of keeping that info she discarded it..so i started gauge swatching..i can use from size US#4-7 needles..size 7 gives it the most wonderful drape..the store owner said its cotton but this yarn is stretchy and since im one of the few that love cotton i know this yarn can only be partially cotton, it has to be mixed with something else..heres a few pics of the cone yarn..how much yarn would you say this is? on a pencil i get about 14 wraps per inch. i know its hard to see but it looks very tweedy with that fine black thread wrapped around the fine yarn..
thank you so much
carolyne

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
A coincidence, Carolyne. I have on my shelf the twin to your cone. My full cone holds 500 gms. - yours looks as though a little, 75 gms or so, has been used. The yarn content - 53% wool, 27% acrylic, 20% polyamide. It knits well on the machine at tension 8, which would I think equate to using US sized needles 7 or 8. The test square, stocking stitch reads 40sts. = 14.3 cms, 60 rows = 15 cms. No information re the manufacturer, but the yarn was marketed under name "Fluffy". I hope this info.helps you a little.

·
Registered
307 Posts
This is beautiful yarn and might work on the knitting machine although I believe I would prefer to hand knit it as it appears to be nubby or thick and thin in the swatch photo. If you like the drape on size 8 needles I would definitely hand knit it. I have been a machine knitter for over 40 years and a hand knitter much longer. As long as the eyes and arthritis allow I will continue to do both. I am 79 years young.

·
Registered
307 Posts
This is beautiful yarn and might work on the knitting machine although I believe I would prefer to hand knit it as it appears to be nubby or thick and thin in the swatch photo. If you like the drape on size 8 needles I would definitely hand knit it. I have been a machine knitter for over 40 years and a hand knitter much longer. As long as the eyes and arthritis allow I will continue to do both. I am 79 years young.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
HI - Search is at the top of this page. Click on that - the next page type in yarn, or MK yarn, cone yarn in the rectangle. This has been covered many times. You can also go to Links at the bottom of every page, go to top of page and click on Home - it will offer subjects - go down to Machine Knitting - click on that and you will find a wealth of info on cone yarns, etc. Good Luck!! Ellie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom