Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given 4 balls of this yarn but there is no identifying mark onit. Can anyone help? It is slightly stretchy - but feels to me like DK but I may be wrong.

Any suggestions as to what to use the yarn for would also be welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
It almost looks like PHENTEX---was a yarn used years ago-had the glimmer yarn strand--was mostly used for macrame ..it looks like it might not be too soft, but I am probably wrong jumping to that conclusion.You could make a lovely shawl, a few scarves-- I am not sure about a sweater as it might be scratchy--Whatever you decide, have fun and share pictures please!

·
Registered
634 Posts
I think it looks a lot like Dazzle. Haven't seen it for years but was a nice acrylic yarn. Made my now grown little girls dresses one Christmasxx

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Nana Ivie said:
I think it looks a lot like Dazzle. Haven't seen it for years but was a nice acrylic yarn. Made my now grown little girls dresses one Christmasxx
Like Dazzleaire---might be--I used that yarn n 1967 to make a blanket for my newborn daughter--wow--talk about a flashback--but then, back then the selection of yarns was sort of limited--now, anything goes!

·
Premium Member
81,185 Posts
Nana89 said:
It almost looks like PHENTEX---was a yarn used years ago-had the glimmer yarn strand--was mostly used for macrame ..it looks like it might not be too soft, but I am probably wrong jumping to that conclusion.You could make a lovely shawl, a few scarves-- I am not sure about a sweater as it might be scratchy--Whatever you decide, have fun and share pictures please!
I go with Phentex. Google Phentex slipper pattern if you've a mind to make slippers. Otherwise, it'd make a great - totally indestructible- bag.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I wonder if it could be Patons' Spritz? That was an Aran yarn, but a fairly lightweight one. It came in lots of metallic shades, including a gold very like yours. It was a mixture of acrylic with metallic fibres.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think I would know better if I felt it, but it reminds me of Caron Dazzleaire, I am looking through my old yarn and pattern records, which I need to digitize the different books, that would make for a good winter project....but it was a 4 ply yarn that I used in a afghan....

·
Registered
456 Posts
Sorry I forgot to include, it was worsted weight 3 oz. skein 60% Acrylic and 40% Nylon, it was used for a child's afghan and a stuffed turtle...I hope that was not to much information, but I am looking at my past project patterns and what I used, how long it took to make, sort of a journal on each project I did, it gives me an idea of what yarns or threads I tried and the end results and yes I also include some un-finished projects, I tried making something with spun dog hair, don't ask it wasn't pretty....

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Nana89 said:
This was my first thought also.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you everyone for all your help on this problem - you are all so good. Unfortunately I have looked at all your suggestions and none of them seem to be the right yarn. Phentex came near but the yarn I have is not very strong - would not be able to knit slippers or do macrame with it - Dazzle came near but was too thick - Flounce metallic looked hopeful but there is no mesh. I will try to knit something with it soon and perhaps that will give me some clues as to what it is. Watch this space! and thanks again.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mystery yarn:
I also think it's Dazzle yarn. I just used the last of it in my stash to make a hat for a neighbor & a sweater for her tiny dog. It was a lovely pink! It was 4 ply & I used a #8 needle. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
It does look like phentex. It was cheaper than other yarns. I used it mostly for slippers they would wear forever. It also washed without shrinking. A little stiff I found. If an iron was placed on it , it would melt and be stiff in that area. I could not imagine using it today for nothing other than maybe a grocery bag or a rug and maybe mitts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom