Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started to knit one flat and then I got annoyed. I frankly hate sewing things together. Is there any harm in knitting them in the round? All the instructions say to do them flat, seam, and then turn right side out, and decorate.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I do all mine in the round. Cast on 40 stitches with 2 strands of worsted with size 10 circulars, knit 11 inches for the inside, then a variety of stitches for 12 more inches for the outside, turn so it's doubled and whip stitch the ends together to form a 12" tube. Add the twiddles and voila!!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I always do my muffs on a circular needle or dpns and they work out very well. At the turning point from lining to front I do a purl row which looks well, after that anything goes regarding stitches, wool type and colours.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much for the fast replies. I'll go with circular. NannyVal, I really appreciate the suggestion of the purl row at the turn. Thanks

·
Registered
27,125 Posts
I put do-dads, fancy stitches, and different types of yarn on the inside and the outside. Makes them reversible and gives them something to twiddle when their hands are in the muffs. Yes, I do them in the round.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Can someone show a photo of a twiddle muff,quite intriguing! I know what a muff is but have seen one here (uk) since Victorian times. Are they for children or adults? By the way, I wasn't actually alive in Victorian times but seen pictures lol!????

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Romagica, they are great, love the bright colors.and beads on a cord. Thanks for the photo's.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I use a size 13 circulars, cast on 40 or so stitches, join and knit for 12 inches, purl one round, and knit for 12 more inches. I use double, sometimes triple strands of whatever yarn I have, changing to include fun fur for the inside. To bind off I position the fuzzy fiber inside the tube, match up the cast on edge with the live stitches, pick up a cast on stitch, place it on the left needle with the live stitches, K2TOG, PU a cast on st, place it on the left needle, K2TOG and BO. Continue round. No sewing! Works perfect. I either decorate before binding off or do it now. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Childsplay904 said:
Thanks for photos. I have never heard of these. Who uses them and why! Thanks for teaching me something new!!
Dementia or Alzheimer's patients, children with autism. They pick at their hands and this gives them something to "fiddle" or "twiddle". It's a sensory work.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
knit4zen said:
Dementia or Alzheimer's patients, children with autism. They pick at their hands and this gives them something to "fiddle" or "twiddle". It's a sensory work.
Sorry for the double photo. That was one of the first ones I knitted. I sewed a silky lining. Here's another. Sorry, just won't add the other photo, not sure why.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Brannon23 said:
I made a smaller version into a ball and added things to twiddle with for my autistic nephew. It worked so well that the teachers at school have ask for some for class.
I think I'm going to make a couple "twiddle mats" by knitting a bulky 18" square or so, and then adding twiddles ... for those who don't want a muff. A ball is a great idea, too.

It's all about the twiddles. :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom