Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could some one tell me if you can make a woman jacket size40 with redhert yarn what size needle would i use and how to gauge what stitch would i use
thank you
lacy

·
Registered
20,453 Posts
Did you find a pattern from your previous post?

The size needle you use is partially dependent on which RedHeart yarn you are using. They make lots of different weights. The suggested needle and gauge size should be on the wrapper/band on the yarn.

The more information you can provide,the easier it will be to get an answer to your questions.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the size yarn is size 4 some one told me not to go by the
laber this yarn. i how is worsted size 4 364 yds /333m
knitting needle size 5mm/ 8us red heart super saved yarn
thank you
lacy

·
Registered
20,453 Posts
You should use the size needle that gives you the gauge listed on your pattern. Most patterns that use RedHeart Super Saver list a size 8 or 9 needle. If you were making a scarf, afghan, or something that doesn't have a specified size, it wouldn't matter as much.

Try to make a swatch with different size needles and see which you like. Smaller needles will make a more dense fabric. Larger needles will make it very loose.

·
Registered
32,656 Posts
lacy said:
could some one tell me if you can make a woman jacket size40 with redhert yarn what size needle would i use and how to gauge what stitch would i use
thank you
lacy
I have used red heart worsted for sweaters - usually a 5mm or 5.5 mm (US 8 or 9). the gauge would depend on your own knitting. There is a workshop just finishing up in the workshop section (coat of many colors) and the pink and mauve and white sweater is all in red heart worsted). check out that workshop-- there might be something there that would help you
with your sweater. Designer.

see the two links immediately under this post -- the kp link will take you to the workshop section and you can scroll down through the
workshops until you find the Coat of many colors/

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
same here I would use the size US8 and I would also find a pattern and see what is says...
On your pattern it will have a guage for you to follow.. so RedHeart supersaver will work but if you need to make adjustments just use a size samler or size larger you have to make a test swatch to know for sure...

I think the person who said not to go by the label suggestions on the yarn probably ment that you 'can't JUST go by the suggestions' because every knitter knits differently and someone might be perfectly on guage with size 8 and others might need a 7 or a 9...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom