Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am knitting a hat and shawl collar cardy fro a baby who has 49cm chest measurement but is only 68cm tall,i have adjusted the size of pattern to fit her chest but think it will be too long,what is themeasurement from neck to waist fro a baby this tall?

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Can't be too long for a baby, it will grow to fit the garment. If it is long now, it can reach from the knees up and as the child grows, he or she will not change that much in the chest measurement but the length will. Some baby sweaters are 6 inches long after the armhole but you can sneak a tape measure into a store and measure a sweater in the baby department. I would guess that the measurement from the neck to waist would be at least 5 inches, don't want anything too tight. Looking at the picture of baby sweaters, they seem to be half and half, one half on top and one half on the bottom.
You can't make it too long. So here a couple options for you to consider. You are using metric measurements so you will have to do the math. Are you making up the pattern or do you have one you are using?

Carol J.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i do have a pattern but it only gives 2 measurements fro 0-3 mnths and 3-6 mths(46cm chest) so becos it was straightforward i amended it to make a garment for 49 cm chest which is that of the baby i am making it for although she is short .(68 cm tall)

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I got out my tape measure and used the cm side, that is a chubby baby and 26 inches tall in US measurements. I would still use the dividing into thirds to estimate. Are you starting at the neck or the bottom of the sweater? I would make the sweater to measure 5 inches or 13 cm, a baby sweater does not have to fit as close as something for yourself or an older child, you want baby to have room to throw the arms about and exercise them, and grab you by the nose or lips. I know babies do that.
In my idea I would say she or he would be wearing size 18 months or a 2 year old's clothing. I have a great grandson like that, he wore size 2 when he wasn't even a year old.
If I don't get back to you before this evening, it will be because I have to go out of town this morning. I will sneak a peak later before I leave but I hope I helped you. Use your tapemeasure and check out clothes in a baby department of a store is you can. I have done that on men's clothing too when I didn't have the man to measure.

Carol J.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I wrote down that address, past, it will come in handy. Our UK friend will have to change it all to cm but that is easy with a good take measure. thanks for the information.

Carol J.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Carol J. said:
I wrote down that address, past, it will come in handy. Our UK friend will have to change it all to cm but that is easy with a good take measure. thanks for the information.

Carol J.
The chart shows inches and cm. The inches are 1st and the cm follow and are underlined in a finer print.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom