Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((((( Your yarn label will give laundering instructions. Get it out and peek. Always save yarn labels, too.

If in doubt, dry clean.

You didn't say what the yarn material is (acrylic, wool, cotton/acrylic blend, etc.).

What's that product called that one can wash fine items with? BRB (be right back)! I've got some in the laundry room.

I'm back! LOL!! It's called WOOLITE (won't cause shrinking, stretching or fading by hand or machine). It's available everywher, probably. Wal-Mart?

Drying would be a different issue: Not knowing the yarn type, consider washing it by method of choice then laying it on a blanket to dry near a heat source. Toweling would work, too.

Good luck!!

Donna Rae
Brandon, Iowa ))))))))))

secretary said:
I need to clean the Alsolutely Fabulous Throw I made 2 years ago. How do I do that....wash or dry clean? I don't want to damage the beauty of the throw.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. The throw is made with several types of hand-dyed yarn....mohair, wool, viscose, and cotton. It is gorgeous and I don't want to ruin it. I have been told to never dry clean it, but was not told how to wash it.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((( You don't have the yarn labels, right?

I would probably go with the Woolite wash and hand dry flat.

Donna Rae ))))))))

secretary said:
Thank you. The throw is made with several types of hand-dyed yarn....mohair, wool, viscose, and cotton. It is gorgeous and I don't want to ruin it. I have been told to never dry clean it, but was not told how to wash it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with the gentle handwashing in Woolite or a good wool wash and drying flat. I would probably also use cold water with the hand-dyed yarn, maybe add a little white vinegar to the final rinse. (The smell will go away, honest.) The vinegar will help set the dyes if they aren't colorfast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom