Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this can even be done since I'm a fairly new knitter & brand new to this Intarsia knitting but I am in the process of sewing & lining a backpack for my 14 yr old granddaughter. My question is I know this backpack will take a beating & is there anything you can spray on the knit fabric to kind of protect it more from hard use , dirt, etc? The skeins are a worsted wgt & had wanted her to pick a more sturdy cotton/acrylic or wool. But maybe I'm wrong too. She just liked the colors in the worsted!!!
Anyone who does this Intarsia knitting I have to take my hat off to you as this was one of the hardest things I have ever done plus working from a chart that I also had to learn but now I can say I have done it & won't do it again!
Thanks for anyone's help. Kathy

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your quick replies. Looks like the Scotchguard is the one to get as its good on most every kind of fabric. Kathy

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I would look in the shoe department for that spray that is used on shoes. I had some shoes that I bought that were soft and fuzzy, kind of like a velour. I bought a spray that was to protect them when they got wet so that they didn't spot or hold the dirt. That was 3 years ago when my daughter got married so I have no clue what it was I used, but I would think that anyone working in a shoe store would know what products they have for protecting shoes.

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
I agree.... Scotchguard OR the waterproofer that you spray on your shoes will help protect the backpack from stains.

Congratulations on learning a new technique. I am sure it was worth it to please your GD. I really love fair isle knitting. I find it a much more "fun" way of knitting with colors.

Once you have "recovered" from this challenging project, think about fair isle.... I find it much more enjoyable than Intarsia and a very classic look.

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hadn't thought about the shoe spray but I'm sure that would work also, so will check into that. I told my granddaughter if anyone in school thought her backpack was "cool" & would her grandma make them one, my answer to that was "NO". Yes, grandma's will do most anything for the grandkids!!
As far as this knitting with colors it was a huge challenge due to my being a new knitter & its not something I would want to tackle again but who knows. Fair Isle did look interesting since I had to watch so many videos on this type of knitting to even understand what I was doing.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Stores that sell hunting and camping supplies have a spray. I think it is called Camp Guard. Hubby and I have used it on jackets, boots, etc. It works really well.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
AmyKnits said:
I agree.... Scotchguard OR the waterproofer that you spray on your shoes will help protect the backpack from stains.
Use Scotchguard in a well-ventilated area and only spray a little at a time while you hold your breath. Step back and take a couple of breaths before going back to it and spraying more. Let it dry well before handling the item.

It has carcinogenic chemicals in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom