Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19,973 Posts
I'd swatch and test it in washer/dryer. The swatch might bear a very strong resemblance a simple beanie. lol However, one trip through the washer/dryer doesn't guarantee it will never be a problem. I'm inclined to think the instructions to hand wash dry flat lets them off the hook if you ruin it in the wash. I've used Wool Ease with the same fiber content and it washes and dries just fine.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
I have washed and dried many things made with this yarn. I think it is the 20% wool that they tell you to do this. I have never had it shrink or look worse the wear for going through the washer and dryer.

·
Registered
23,222 Posts
carmicv said:
The label states hand wash lay flat to dry. Has anyone tried the washer and dryer. I was hoping to make a hat and mitts.
I never fully dry any hand knit item in dryer...never more than about 5 minutes, then lay flat to finish drying. But that is ONLY for acrylic yarns. Superwash wool yarns do go in the washer, but NEVER the dryer...only lay flat to dry.

·
Registered
93,689 Posts
run4fittness said:
I would hand wash just because then I can be "gentle" with it if needed. But if you are giving as a gift, better to have "washable" yarn.
I tend to hand wash all my knits except if it's a big blanket then I use the gentle cycle on my machine as I don't have a dryer I either hang out on my washing line or lay out over my airer I don't use pegs on any as I don't like peg marks

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Would the recipient have a place to air dry knits or is he or she willing to air dry them? Do you plan to knit kids' mittens? They get wet and grubby each time kids play in the snow and whatever else they handle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom