Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
A couple of weeks ago I read through post recommending CSS for washability, colours etc.
I think it was yesterday I read about discontinuing it and their was a 'petition link' (which I completed). So, long story short, I ordered a whole pile from Mary Maxim because they had it on a HUGE sale. I bought it for a line of gloves I plan for Fall/Winter 2013.
Now I'm second guessing my order. Do you feel Caron Simply Soft is suitable for gloves? do you have any suggestion for making CSS work better for gloves?
Thank you for your help!
cj

I just started a pair of child's mittens with Simply Soft but am going to rip and use something. Just a personal decision but don't like them. Don't think they will be warm enough. I love the sheen and feel but , for me, not for mittens. Don't think I would like it for gloves either.

I have used Simply Soft for mittens. I found I wanted to just use the simply soft for a few stripes or in combination with somthing else. The Simply Soft has more of a string quality, not stretch or density of other yarns. It's not a bad yarn, just didn't do what I needed for my projects.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Yes, it was these recent comments that seem to be opposite of comments made a couple of weeks ago. that's why I bought the yarn - it seemed to be greeted favourably and the colours are super. I am interested in specifically gloves and thought some members maybe have experience is using CCs for gloves.
cj

CaROLE-JAYNE said:
Thank you - I was beginning to regret my decision to buy so much!
thanks
cj
I've used it for sweaters for my granddaughter and hats and mittens and it is great.

Personally I would not use simply soft for any knitting project the yarn splits terribly and when washed it becomes very limp! I knitted my first granddaughter a baby blanket and when it was washed (which is one reason why I chose the yarn, it was washable for easy care) it was limp and lifeless. Very disappointing.

I have used it for fingerless gloves. They have a nice cable up the back. I love them. They are soft & warm. It does stretch a little faster than some yarns, but washed it goes back into the original shape.

There are many that don't like simply soft, but I do. I wouldn't suggest it for the first time learner, because it does split easily. On the other hand. I just realized that is what my daughter is using for the slippers for her first project. Maybe that is why she has had some problems.

It is my yarn of choice for my Christmas stockings. I was always able to match when someone added to their family and wanted a new stocking. The problem is they discontinued green!

I often use it when a pattern calls for a sport weight. It knits a little tighter to get gauge and then it is a firmer fabric.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Thank you - it seems to have a 'love/hate' relationship. I bought a mass of the stuff on sale at $1.23 a skein in many different colours for making up all year for sale in the Fall. A big store on the Trans Canada Highway takes - and sells - anything I make, so I like to stock up in advance. When I read all the cautionary tales I did get concerns so last night I made one glove. I did find it split a bit when I got 'a head of steam' but overall it seems to work well. Perhaps I wouldn't choose it for the crocheted Text Mitz. Thank you for your encouragement.
ATB
CJ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom