Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest a substitute for this yarn? I really don't like it but it has the drape I need for a project--I've tried other worsted yarns and none of them drape like this--I would like to make another Serafina shawl but am not looking forward to using Simply Soft--thank you for any suggestions you might have!

·
Registered
7,184 Posts
What is the problem with Caron's Simply Soft? It is marked down at local Wal Mart and I wondered if there was some objection to it. Beautiful colors. I have some in my stash but have never knitted with it.

·
Registered
21,088 Posts
I am with you, I do not like this yarn at all it is rough on my hands. I know it is a very reasonably priced yarn but it is the pits to work with. Have you ever tried Cascade Yarns Eco Alpaca, it is so smooth.
pfjenson said:
Can anyone suggest a substitute for this yarn? I really don't like it but it has the drape I need for a project--I've tried other worsted yarns and none of them drape like this--I would like to make another Serafina shawl but am not looking forward to using Simply Soft--thank you for any suggestions you might have!

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
MissNettie said:
What is the problem with Caron's Simply Soft? It is marked down at local Wal Mart and I wondered if there was some objection to it. Beautiful colors. I have some in my stash but have never knitted with it.
When I used Caron for baby blankets they felt very heavy for a baby, which I didn't like.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
there's nothing wrong with it to the best of my knowledge--I just don't like it--the colors are beautiful but I don't like the way it feels or the splitting--I wish JoAnn's still made their Rainbow Boucle yarn--I love that yarn! I do still have some in my stash so maybe I'll try that for the shawl

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Hobby Lobby carries a brand of their own in this same kind of yarn, it's called Soft Secret. It is the only one of the soft yarns that has a color needed for a special program at one of the local hospitals. It's more expensive than Caron, so maybe get a skein on sale and try it out before you commit to a large project.

·
Registered
12,841 Posts
Evie RM said:
I don't like Caron's Simply Soft because it splits so much. I prefer Red Heart Soft yarn. Lots of color selections and the yarn is just a soft, if not softer, than Caron's yarn.
I'm with Evie on Red Heart Soft, although I've never had an issue with Caron's....????

·
Registered
398 Posts
MissNettie said:
I for one like Caron Simply Soft yarn, and knit with it a great deal. Occasionally the yarn splits but only if I use bamboo needles. Like all my hand knits both acrylic and wool, I wash by hand and dry flat. Again like several brands of yarn I have found a knot or a distorted piece. Their customer service is very good and one time when I contacted them,I was sent replacement yarn, not just the one skein but three. I find it has a lovely drape, but certain patterns need a firmer yarn.
It doesn't suit everyone, but give it a go, knit a scarf and judge for yourself.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom