Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

· Registered
77,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy cow!! Just got back from local craft store which has a pretty decent collection of yarn. I wanted to get some of the Cascade 128 chunky yarn to make myself a cowl and almost dropped my teeth when I saw that the price went from $6.99 per hank to $10.99 per hank!!! Is there a shortage of sheep in the world? Needless to say I left it on the shelf. So disappointed....

· Registered
77,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Holy cow!! Just got back from local craft store which has a pretty decent collection of yarn. I wanted to get some of the Cascade 128 chunky yarn to make myself a cowl and almost dropped my teeth when I saw that the price went from $6.99 per hank to $10.99 per hank!!! Is there a shortage of sheep in the world? Needless to say I left it on the shelf. So disappointed....

· Registered
77,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
funthreads623 said:
Could it have been a price marking error? Sometimes, these things happen...
No, I wish it was though. I called the store when I got home as they were very busy while I was in there.
The trip wasn't a complete loss. I picked up some baby DK for my grandbaby to be :)

· Registered
12,017 Posts
Boy, that is a steep jump. I think I would have left it too. I hate it when they put sticker on over sticker and they are a quarter inch deep, go home peel them off and you paid double what it had been. I love Dale of Norway baby Ull, it's $8.10 everywhere now, I got a lot online a year ago, it was $6.65. I found 9 skeins at goodwill for 99 cents each. yeah me on that one. but I did notice some are as much or more than regular store prices at 2nd hand stores now. I have about enough yarn for 64 more years, I won't use up all of my yarn, even if I knit 24 hr. a day. Glad I got a big stash.

· Registered
5,813 Posts
At the beginning of this year I tried to do the KAL that Skacel (addi Turbos) was sponsoring. They also sell yarn. One of their line is the Trekking sock yarn. One of the yarns they would be using for the KAL was priced at $16.00 for a 150 gram ball. After the KAL started they raised the price to $30.00 per ball. That's almost a 100% increase! It was also very bad timing. I felt they were taking advantage of their customers.

· Registered
2,615 Posts
Yes, I recently left the Cascade on the shelf as well. I bought a Knitpicks sampler of Wool of the Andes. It's almost identical to the Cascade 220 Peruvian Highland wool I was using. Cascade ran about $10.99 in my LYS, too. I bought the Wool of the Andes for $2.50 including shipping. I would definitely try Knitpicks.

· Registered
77,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cindy M said:
Yes, I recently left the Cascade on the shelf as well. I bought a Knitpicks sampler of Wool of the Andes. It's almost identical to the Cascade 220 Peruvian Highland wool I was using. Cascade ran about $10.99 in my LYS, too. I bought the Wool of the Andes for $2.50 including shipping. I would definitely try Knitpicks.
Is the 220 washable? I'll check it out!

· Registered
2,770 Posts
I noticed an increase at JoAnn & Michaels, but at least yarn does go n sale and they also have coupons. I think that Walmart LOWERED the price of Red Heart. I sure am glad I have a large stash!

I don't seem to luck out at second hand stores. I have noticed second hand stores (Salavation Army, Goodwill, etc.) prices seem to be going up too. I have found things with original store price still attached and the price at the second hand store is higher than the orignal price.

· Registered
128 Posts
Yes Cascade went up steeply a few months ago - maybe that's why the Cascade Rep is hosting a big event with doorprizes at my LYS in a few weeks - I could understand a small rise - but that is ridiculous!! I've started using other less expensive, comparable yarns.

· Registered
29,058 Posts
crafty_grandma56 said:
That's what I usually pay for a hank - and there is not much choice! If I were to buy it on-line with shipping and exchange rate (I am Cdn) it would be about the same!!! Sometimes I wonder if it is worth the effort of buying yarn!
D you check on line around he globe, or only Northern Hemisphere? Some places in Australia have very reasonable prices, & if you are planning for a few projects, you can save on the postage, which is what I do

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom