Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to knit the dish cloth (as a sample) for the pattern I have for the blanket!? I have picked a pattern for 'tweedy bricks' knit pattern from Jo-Ann Fabrics. (free pattern) It calls for 97 cast on stitches for the blanket
How would I know how many stitches I would need to make 12" ?
Anybody knows how many stitches I need to cast on? It does not say multiples of stitches for the pattern?!
Thanks

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
malti said:
I like to knit the dish cloth (as a sample) for the pattern I have for the blanket!? I have picked a pattern for 'tweedy bricks' knit pattern from Jo-Ann Fabrics. (free pattern) It calls for 97 cast on stitches for the blanket
How would I know how many stitches I would need to make 12" ?
Anybody knows how many stitches I need to cast on? It does not say multiples of stitches for the pattern?!
Thanks
Check the gauge for the blanket pattern. It will stitches per inch. Multiple that number by 12.
If no gauge is given, check to see how wide the blanket is supposed to be. Divide to find out the stitches per inch, then multiple by 12

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
Is this the stitch pattern? http://newstitchaday.com/brick-stitch/
The number of stitches to cast-on to make 12" is a function of the stitch pattern and your gauge (stitches per inch).... so this is a pattern that calls for multiples of 4 plus 1
If your gauge is 4 stitches per inch, you would need to cast on 4 X 12 = 48 +1 = 49

Here's another one that is similar but uses two colors ... no reason it cannot be done in one color. This is a multiple of 6 + 1 so 49 cast on (same gauge) would work for it too.
http://knit-together.com/pattern/knitting-stitch-patterns/color-knitting-patterns/two-color-bricks-pattern

I realize you picked this up as a freebie at Joann's ... if you can find a similar one online, it would help.... without at least a picture everything is based on words and supposition.

·
Registered
10,969 Posts
Read the pattern. See how many stitches are used to make the pattern stitches. It will say, for example (I couldn't find the actual pattern online, and do not have that store here at all), to knit 5 sts for the border, then Knit 3, purl 3 repeat until last five stitches, knit for border. So, the pattern allows 10 sts for border, and 8 stitches for the repeat. As for how many stitches for a 12 inch cloth, using much thinner yarn (the blanket yarn is very bulky, the peaches yarn is worsted) you will need to make a swatch, and measure. Even though the yarn label will give you a suggested gauge, that is based on stocking stitch, and your personal tension/gauge may vary from that.

·
Registered
54,245 Posts
As you not using the same yarn for the dish cloth I sure wouldn't bother with a swatch you need 6 inches for a swatch and are doing a 12 inch square. and it is not like gauge is vital for a dishcloth.
You can't use it as a swatch for the blanket so knitting a swatch for the dish cloth is a total waste of time in my opinion.

·
Registered
54,245 Posts
As you not using the same yarn for the dish cloth I sure wouldn't bother with a swatch you need 6 inches for a swatch and are doing a 12 inch square. and it is not like gauge is vital for a dishcloth.
You can't use it as a swatch for the blanket so knitting a swatch for the dish cloth is a total waste of time in my opinion.

How to work out the stitch count needed has already been given.

·
Registered
10,969 Posts
darowil said:

How to work out the stitch count needed has already been given.
She won't be - Bernat Blanket yarn is a very bulky chenille or fleece type yarn from man-made fibres. Not at all suited to a dish cloth. The Peaches and Cream (or Peaches N Creme, I can never keep that stuff straight) is a worsted weight (10 ply) cotton yarn. Very suitable to a dish cloth.

·
Registered
10,969 Posts
9sueseiber said:
If you are using Bernat Blanket yarn to make your blanket, why are you using a cotton yarn to make a swatch for gauge? I don't quite understand what you are doing?
She isn't making a swatch for gauge. She wants to use the pattern for the blanket to make a dishcloth instead. So, she wanted to know how many stitches to cast on for the pattern repeats to get a 12 inch square cloth.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom