Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to finish an afghan, my first big project in a while. It seems to me I have heard that to prevent a bunched bottom edge you should cast off on to a larger gauge needle, and it will lay flat. Am I imagining this or does anyone do it? Any other tips for getting a flat effect appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((( Yes, I've heard that and would agree. I also CO (cast on) with a larger size - the same one that I would BO.

Some folks BO with a crochet hook, too.
~~~~~~
michele101 said:
I am about to finish an afghan, my first big project in a while. It seems to me I have heard that to prevent a bunched bottom edge you should cast off on to a larger gauge needle, and it will lay flat. Am I imagining this or does anyone do it? Any other tips for getting a flat effect appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
try using a crochet hook 1 or 2 sizes bigger around than your knitting needle....use it in your right hand just as tho it was a knitting needle....knit with it till it's time to pull one st over the other and there you are with a hook on the end of your knitting needle....i have loved this ever since i found it on a tv show....makes casting/binding off a snap...experiment with the size to get it to lay flat...

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
There's also a way to cast off from called portuguese knitting. if you take a look on youtube, and search for that, there's a video by Andrea Wong (?) that shows p. knitting. You don't need to do all that, but the castoff lays very flat and doesn't get too tight. here's the link for the video.

I find p. knitting does relieve repetitive stress on my hands

·
Registered
20,519 Posts
I always cast off with a larger needle, usually 2 sizes. It insures a nice smooth edge that lays flat.

Sheryl

·
Registered
208 Posts
My favorite bind off is to knit 2 stitches together through the back loops. Place this stitch back on your left needle, and knit 2 together through the back loops. Repeat until all stitches are bound off. This makes a flexible edge that is very neat and easy to do. No need to use a larger needle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom