Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Depends on your gauge & the stitch that you use, & of course the yarn used! Something like a moss st is good. If you mean will the sts on the needle be the width, no, it will be bigger when you've done some rows. The way to tell is to do a tension/gauge square.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sukiesue said:
Depends on your gauge & the stitch that you use, & of course the yarn used! Something like a moss st is good. If you mean will the sts on the needle be the width, no, it will be bigger when you've done some rows. The way to tell is to do a tension/gauge square.
Crud, That's what I was hoping I wouldn't need to do. Thank you for responding, even the bad news. ????

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
r
scumbugusa said:
Since it's a blanket, does it have to be exactly 20".

I hate swatching too.
No, just a number i picked. I have one ball of Mandala (called Cupid) with 590 yards. The yarn states DK with US 5 needle ((I'm going to use US 6). I want to knit into a rectangle blanket.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dachsmom said:
I never swatch for blankets or scarves. Let it fly!
But that's it, I don't know how many stitches to cast on. It is Mandala and label says DK and to use US 5 needle and has 590 yds. I'm planning on using US 6. I do hope the yarn will be soft enough for a baby blanket.

·
Registered
11,812 Posts
Here is the stitch information using a 10.5 needle.

PRODUCT FEATURES
Fiber Content
75% Acrylic / 15% Wool / 10% Nylon
Brand
Lion Brand
Weight/Yardage
3oz (100g) / 164yd (150m)
Knitting Gauge
14 sts x 20 r
Crochet Gauge
11 sc x 12 r
Recommended Needle
US 10.5 (6.5 mm)
Recommended Hook
K10.5 (6.5mm)

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maureen Therese said:
Doesn't your yarn wrapper tell you the normal number of stitches per inch (or 4")? As long as you are not a too tight, or too loose knitter, this will be enough of a guide for a blanket.
I never thought to use that information. Thank you!!

·
Registered
23,226 Posts
BarbaraSD said:
If I cast on X number of stitches to say make a 20" blanket. Will that size stay the same or will it get wider. I hope I'm explaining myself.
If you want a 20" blanket, the number of stitches per inch will only vary by your gauge.if your yarn and needle create 10 stitches per inch (which you will figure out by knitting a 5 or 6 by 5 or 6 inches,counting the stitches in the 4 by 4 inches in the center of your swatch) once you know your stitches per inch, you would cast on 20 times the stitches per inch...and that should create a blanket that measures 20 inches along the entire length. Changing number of stitches, either by increase (bigger) or decrease (smaller)... or by changing needle size are generally the only reasons size would change.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yes - sometimes I cast on loosely, or on a larger needle, and then stretch the stitches sideways before I begin knitting to get a slightly better idea of what the width will be. The best way, of course, is to do a swatch and compare the cast on length to the length after having done a few rows.

·
Registered
93,689 Posts
You would need to swatch then measure for size, I often pick out a pattern from my stitch dictionaries then do a quick swatch using at least 2 pattern repeats then measure for the size I'm after.....i like to swatch to test for fabric look and feel
If I've only got x amount of yarn I weigh and wind into 2 balls and do a quick easy c-c that way I know I have enough yarn to finish my blanket if still I bit small after using 1/2 my yarn I go stash diving to find something else to use with y yarn to make bigger
Hope you work out what you want

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nanamel14 said:
You would need to swatch then measure for size, I often pick out a pattern from my stitch dictionaries then do a quick swatch using at least 2 pattern repeats then measure for the size I'm after.....i like to swatch to test for fabric look and feel
If I've only got x amount of yarn I weigh and wind into 2 balls and do a quick easy c-c that way I know I have enough yarn to finish my blanket if still I bit small after using 1/2 my yarn I go stash diving to find something else to use with y yarn to make bigger
Hope you work out what you want
Thank you for your reply. I never thought of splitting a ball of yarn to be sure there is enough yarn to finish a diagonal. This is why I wanted to do a rectangle. Cast on then knit to end of yarn. My friend's granddaughter is having twin daughters so wanted to make this as simple as possible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom