Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to make a throw blanket in knitting but, I need to know how to cast on large numbers of stitches on the needle. What method would I use, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
467 Posts
I can only speak for myself on this but...

I use the longest straight needle I have as cast on stitches are very weak and difficult to get over the hump on circs. I would then begin knitting with circs. I realize you may have to use a circ but if you can finagle it is worth it for that first row to go with straights.

the other trick is to put markers after every 25 sts so you don't have to count back from one if you lose track.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Whatever cast on you end up using, as Darski said put markers every 25 or even 40 stitches so you don't have to go back to the very beginning of the cast on. Been there, done that. Casting on once and counting stitches in my head as I went and somebody spoke to me, lost count, and then had to start counting again. Only did it once.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
I use my normal cast on which is a sort of cable cast on and I put a marker every 50 stitches - I usually cast on to a circular needle for a large piece

·
Registered
860 Posts
I would use a crochet cast on. This gives the blanket a nice edge and will closely match your bind off at end. Also, long tail cast on is difficult to calculate when you have a lot of stitches.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Unless you join the two ends of the yarn before you cast on, as some clever person suggested a week or so ago. I've been doing it every since. No more measuring, or getting to the last ten stitches and not having enough yarn. Love it. (also use markers every 20 or 30 stitches)

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I just finished casting on a 135 stitches with the continetal long tail stitch and I do it on cirucular needles and simply knit back and fourth. the circular needles help to hold the weight of the material once it starts growing.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Take the cake of yarn, pull the center pull and the outside strand, and join them. I was using cotton this time, so I braided the ends together. Then I just do the long-tail cast on for as many stitches as I need, cut off the strand from the outside of the ball/cake/whatever, and my working yarn is then from the center. No measuring, wondering, or getting to the end without enough yarn. I love it. Depending on whatever kind of join you use, braiding, spitting (for wool) or Russian Join will all work. It's totally cool. Takes the anxiety out of casting on lots of stitches.

·
Registered
649 Posts
As with all my knitting I try to match my cast on to the type of fabric my pattern will produce. Do I need a stretchy edge or a firm one. I also have earned there is a bind off that closely matches each type of cast on. Match them up.

Here is a more or less universal method with provisional cast on.

One thing that can really make a subtle but definite difference in how your project may look is that sometimes you really want the cast-on and bind-off to match. But which cast-on to use? Which bind-off?
Here’s how you can do it without hardly a thought!
Use a crocheted provisional cast-on, whether you like to crochet a long chain and pick up and knit through the bumps in the back of the chain, or whether you like to crochet over the needle.
Knit the piece as you like, and then bind-off as you like.
Unravel your provisional crochet chain and place the loose stitches on a needle. Now…bind-off the provisional cast-on the exact same way you finished the piece.
A perfectly matched cast-on and bind-off.

For those who may not have done the Provisional Crochet Cast On before here is a video showing how to:

Two ball long tail cast on here;

http://www.ehow.com/video_4976531_advanced-knitting-long-tail-cast.html

http://techknitting.blogspot.com/2007/10/quicktip-improve-long-tail-cast-on-with.html

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
I love your suggesting of joining the yarn ends before starting the long tail cast on. Have been short on yarn before, even with pre-measuring. This will take care of that problem. Thanks so much for your tip. Jean K

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
ladybugknitter-My favorite cast on is the long tail but it's not really practical for big pieces with lots of cast on stitches. When I am making something that requies lots of cast on stitches I usually use a knit or cable cast on and put on a stitch marker every 30-50 stitches to help me keep track.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom