Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem, I have looked everywhere for an answer and help. So far, I have not been sucessful. I am working on a hat that has ear flaps. I knitted the first one and has no problem. Now the pattern is telling me to cast on some stitches on the same needle that my work is on. How in the world do you cast on after you have started knitting, lately other patterns I have read call for the same thing to cast on stitched after you have been knitting for a while. I know this prob sound stupit but I have had a big ' Brain Fart' I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a clue how to cast on stitches after you start knittin, ( and this is knitting not Crochet )
Thanks for your time, Pam Singer, from Mishawaka, Indiana

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((( Hey, I hear ya! This question came up a few days ago,too and I dug for the answer as I didn't know. Check this cable cast on video:

So, you can cast on like this at the beginning of a project and also at the start of a row. There's a knit cast on, too that she refers to; I haven't view it, though.

Good luck~
~~~~

psinger said:
I have a problem, I have looked everywhere for an answer and help. So far, I have not been sucessful. I am working on a hat that has ear flaps. I knitted the first one and has no problem. Now the pattern is telling me to cast on some stitches on the same needle that my work is on. How in the world do you cast on after you have started knitting, lately other patterns I have read call for the same thing to cast on stitched after you have been knitting for a while. I know this prob sound stupit but I have had a big ' Brain Fart' I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a clue how to cast on stitches after you start knittin, ( and this is knitting not Crochet )
Thanks for your time, Pam Singer, from Mishawaka, Indiana

·
Registered
100 Posts
As far as I know, at least the knit and cable cast-ons can be done with stitches already on the needle; for the knit cast on you basically knit the stitch but instead of taking it off the left hand needle you put the loop on the left hand needle, and then for the next stitch, you do the same...

·
Registered
121 Posts
rokido said:
As far as I know, at least the knit and cable cast-ons can be done with stitches already on the needle; for the knit cast on you basically knit the stitch but instead of taking it off the left hand needle you put the loop on the left hand needle, and then for the next stitch, you do the same...
with all your stitches on the L needle, knit one. now you have one st on the R needle. slip it to the L needle. (you have cast on one). Repeat as many times as needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh my, thank you so much, it makes perfect sense. I am going to try it and see what happens. I will let you know. I knew it had to be something so simple. I have so much to learn yet in knitting. I really love it. I started when I was about 9 years old. I didn't like it then because my Great Aunt always made me rip out my mistakes.!!! :) Now I know why, but I wish I could go to some classes everyday, I use to watch Knitty Gritty and I learned so much, but it is not on air anymore. Well again, Thank You So Very Much.
Pam Singer

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
There is also the back loop cast on. You simply loop the yarn around the needle in such a way that it resembles a blanket or buttonhole stitch.

·
Registered
650 Posts
psinger, sounds like you need to add width to your knitting. Say you knitted the body of a sweater and now you want to add the sleeves all on the same needle. You merely cast on when row is finished as you would to begin the first part. If you need 10 additional stitches, cast on at end of last row, continue knitting as pattern asks.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have had to do this to make a buttonhole. I stopped at the point where the cast on was required, took the yarn that I was knitting the row with and cast on the number of stitches on the right needle just like I would when casting on at the beginning of the project and then continued knitting the row.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
psinger, if you need to cast on just one stitch, you can knit into the front and back of the first stitch. I've done this when I began the body of a sweater and a single selvedge stitch needed to be added.
What debrain described works for knit and cable cast on. The cable cast on looks much neater and I would use it in preference to the knit cast on. They are almost the same to do, and if you can do one you can do the other. See knittinghelp.com for a video. I haven't seen knitingtipsbyjudy that pamela suggested yet but will look there for more tips. The more help sites you find or people tell you about, the better off you are.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for your replys I never expected so many. Other places I went to I did not get one response. You gals are so great, I am glad I stumbled on to this site. Thanks, ladies. Pam Singer

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi !...knit your pattern until it is time for the second earflap . At this time pick up knitted stitches one at a time as you cast on each new stitch for entire width of earflap, one at a time. So... Pick up stitch onto needle and cast on. This will make a new stitch for you to create your earflap from.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi !...knit your pattern until it is time for the second earflap . At this time pick up knitted stitches one at a time as you cast on each new stitch for entire width of earflap, one at a time. So... Pick up stitch onto needle and cast on. This will make a new stitch for you to create your earflap from.

·
Registered
79 Posts
psinger said:
Oh my, thank you so much, it makes perfect sense. I am going to try it and see what happens. I will let you know. I knew it had to be something so simple. I have so much to learn yet in knitting. I really love it. I started when I was about 9 years old. I didn't like it then because my Great Aunt always made me rip out my mistakes.!!! :) Now I know why, but I wish I could go to some classes everyday, I use to watch Knitty Gritty and I learned so much, but it is not on air anymore. Well again, Thank You So Very Much.
Pam Singer
Try watching KNITTING DAILY on your PBS station. I get it on Fridays , early afternoon, in my neck of the woods. It addresses some of these questions we have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
lThank you I will see if it is on in my neck of the woods, I use to watch Knitty Gritty, I loved that show but it is no longer airing. Again, Thank you, Sincerely Pam Singer

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
psinger,

Someone wrote very well this:

"As far as I know, at least the knit and cable cast-ons can be done with stitches already on the needle; for the knit cast on you basically knit the stitch but instead of taking it off the left hand needle you put the loop on the left hand needle, and then for the next stitch, you do the same..."

You are not going to do a "pick up" stitch. You're simply going to knit the stitch before the Cast Ons. Slip that st back to the Left Hand Needle. Knit that stitch. Repeat for correct number of times.

Note: If at the beginning of a row you will knit into the first stitch. When the correct number of CO's have been done, you will start with the last of the CO's as the 1st st of the row.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom