Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Try this to avoid those steps when joining shoulder seams.
Row 1. cast off 4sts. knit to end
R0W 2 Cast off 4sts, work to last st, turn
Row 3 .With 1st on right hand needle slip the next st, cast off 4 sts ,work to the last st Turn
Row 4 and following row As Row 3

This may sound complicated, but try it and youwill find it leaves a smooth slope which can easily be sewn together,

·
Registered
31,234 Posts
I try not to cast off shoulders. I put the stitches that would be cast off on a yarn holder. I use one of those yarn holders that you can load at either end. When I am ready to join I do a three needle bind off of all the stitches. It is so much less lumpy than my sewing.

·
Registered
31,234 Posts
You have all the stitches that were to be bound off on a separate stitch holder for right front, left front, etc. When you are ready to join, move all 12 or so stitches from each holder to the size needle you used for knitting and do a regular three needle bind off across each shoulder. I usually leave a long enough end on the arm end of the shoulder on one of the pieces on each side to knit the stitches off. One less end to weave in.

Not only is it neater (than my sewing for sure :) but it makes a more stable shoulder join that will not stretch out of shape.

evepurls said:
How do you do three needle bind off for shouders, do you do in levels like bindoff stiches?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I totally agree with placeing bind off stitches on waste yarn holders and the doing 3 needle bind off. Looks and holds up so much nicer than sewing. Although I have a friend who adds an extra row and sews them together using seam tape and her serger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom