Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a cape pattern done in bulky aran yarn. The cape was heavy enough to withstand Chicago winters. Since I'm in a wheelchair, it's easier to put on than a regular coat. Please help. If anyone out there knows of a pattern, I would appreciate the help.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
niblet007 said:
I'm looking for a cape pattern done in bulky aran yarn. The cape was heavy enough to withstand Chicago winters. Since I'm in a wheelchair, it's easier to put on than a regular coat. Please help. If anyone out there knows of a pattern, I would appreciate the help.

this is short, but you should be able to just keep going at whatever angle (i.e., adding sts every 5 or 10 sts, whatever they had done in the top area)...it is available as a download for 4.99...

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I'm making one, but it's of DK weight yarn, the pattern is for a seriously advanced knitter and very "intense"...right now I'm up to almost 500 stitches per row (knit on circular needles). I got a whopping 18 rows done this weekend! I'm going to make a 2nd one for my grand daughter...it's not a pattern for the timid though.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Was browsing at the local yarn shop. Try knit.1 by Vogueknitting Fall 2007. #19 pg42. Has a reg-type cable along front side and shoulder-shaping. Also, an openwork cable (kinda a simple celtic beg type) on the front sides of the center opening w/ buttoned i-cord closures. Maybe you can order a back copy on the vogue knitting website. You'll have to Google it as I don't have the exact name of it. Hope this helps. It is thigh length. Sorry I don't know how to do pix on the computer. :roll: :shock: :idea: :-D

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
courier770 said:
The Celtic cape pattern I'm working on is from the Winter 2010 issue of Interweave Knits.

Wasn't trying to upset anyone..I've been knitting 44 years..this one is about as intense as I've ever come across. As I said, it is in DK weight yarn.
I've started the pattern, thanks again, Courier 770, for providing the source in earlier post. I don't pretend to have your expertise (I've seen your pictures of beautiful work). It's fun, but sure has me thinking it through, rereading the charts and instructions and reading my stitches (intense for sure)!! I'm up to the second set of repeats on the body, past the 155 stitches mark, going slow so I don't forget to correctly put the M1L and M1R's! I have also used a couple lifelines in the progress just in case. I love the way the edges look using the slip stitches. I'm using the yarn shown by designer, Universal Eden Silk in the purple. I don't have the ability to show the picture but will try to do so when finished. Keep us informed on your progress. Carlene

·
Registered
66 Posts
I saw this pattern and was immediately intimidated. Maybe one day when I have as much experience as some of you ladies I will give it a try. Can't wait to see pictures of the finished product.
courier770 said:
The Celtic cape pattern I'm working on is from the Winter 2010 issue of Interweave Knits.

Wasn't trying to upset anyone..I've been knitting 44 years..this one is about as intense as I've ever come across. As I said, it is in DK weight yarn.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
courier770 said:
Charlene, it's a fun project and very rewarding...isn't that slipped edge fantastic? I sent my Aunt the latest photo, she printed it out to "brag" with..ha ha!
Courier, Fantastic slipped edge--yes!! I think it is one to remember and incorporate in a future pattern someday. Don't blame your Aunt for wanting to "brag" -- are you still up to doing the one for your Granddaughter?? I am having fun, still a long ways off from pleats and reaching the 500+ stiches; the M1L and M1R placements are now automatic to me and it is beginning to take shape. It truly is a beautiful pattern; I can't imagine being able to design it; what a talent! Carlene

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I am a "sort of" Continental knitter...I knit Eastern European style or Russian Style which is a very "butchered" version of Continental. Other knitters watch me work and just shake their heads! My grandmother fled Austria during the Russian occupation (sadly her older brother, younger sister and parents were killed) she brought her knitting skills to the US and taught her son's wives to knit the same way...who taught their daughters (my sister, my cousin Carol and I). I hope and pray that my 5 year old grand daughter will one day want to knit and that I can teach her the old style that her great, great grandmother brought to the US with her!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
KrafTlady, Courier is right, don't let it intimidate you. I am not near the expert she is and I am having fun with it. It does take both a little time and patience. I see it as a nice challenge to improve my skills. Since I had to buy all the yarn needed to have same dye lot, I am now committed and intend to be very sucessful! It is shaping up very nicely. Carlene

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom