Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! My size 10 circular needle broke (plastic came away from the bamboo) in the middle of knitting an afghan. Can I switch to a size 9 or should I rush right out and buy a replacement? How do you make sure this problem doesn't happen again. Seems like the plastic pulled away because of the pressure of the twisting of the needle which happens on circulars. This is the first time I am using this needle so I am quite upset. Too soon to happen.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
Short answer... NO
I know it is frustrating for that to happen.
The stitches will be different... you could put a lifeline in where you are (or go back to the beginning of a row)
then try a few rows with your size 9.... compare you gauge and how the new rows look as compared to the old.
Remember, if you try to "loosen" up with the Size 9 you will have to maintain that until the end of your project.
Trying the SuperGlue option is worth an attempt.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I absolutely would not change to a 9 needle!!!

I'd take your circular back to where I bought. I only use circulars and have never had that happen.
Don't know what brand your needle is but the quality might be compromised.

·
Registered
23,300 Posts
ruthsacher said:
Help! My size 10 circular needle broke (plastic came away from the bamboo) in the middle of knitting an afghan. Can I switch to a size 9 or should I rush right out and buy a replacement? How do you make sure this problem doesn't happen again. Seems like the plastic pulled away because of the pressure of the twisting of the needle which happens on circulars. This is the first time I am using this needle so I am quite upset. Too soon to happen.
You can do anything you want to do...however you may not be at all happy with the results. Can and should are not always the same.
I would run out and purchase another size 10 in the same brand and material since not all brands or materials will work up to the same gauge....and it might just make a very visible change in the pattern.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you. That was exactly what I did. I bought a new bamboo needle at a very nice knitting store I did not know existed. The lady in the store said the same thing you said. She also added that gluing the plastic back on might cause the yarn to catch (on the dried glue).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom