Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am knitting a pair of socks in the round on dpns and am having a mental block with this chart. Dots are knit and dashes are purl.
Firstly i think I should knit from right to left on every row. Right?
So if that’s the case, Row 1 would be:
K4,p4,k4 p2
And then row 2 the same
But if I read the chart from right to left, then row 2 left to right it would seem I knit 4,p4 all the way round which would make more sense? Please help x

Attachments

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
nibbles511 said:
I am knitting a pair of socks in the round on dpns and am having a mental block with this chart. Dots are knit and dashes are purl.
Firstly i think I should knit from right to left on every row. Right?
So if that's the case, Row 1 would be:
K4,p4,k4 p2
And then row 2 the same
But if I read the chart from right to left, then row 2 left to right it would seem I knit 4,p4 all the way round which would make more sense? Please help x
????????‍♀ Row one right to left, row two left to right, back and forth. I HATE CHARTS!!!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brilliant thanks - I thought it was right to left all the time when knitting in the round but that just didn’t make sense for this. Would help if they did a written version too and not just the chart!!

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
GeriT01 said:
????????‍♀ Row one right to left, row two left to right, back and forth. I HATE CHARTS!!!!!
The OP isn't knitting back and forth. She is knitting in the round. The default chart direction when working in the round is right-to-left on every line BUT there is usually a clarification somewhere in the pattern. Sometimes those bits are hidden away in a corner somewhere or at the end, but they're usually there.

ETA: It's important to know what the pattern repeat is, and from the chart, that's not immediately obvious to me. I'm not sure it's the whole 15 stitches.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
If you are knitting in the round, each round will be the same except for the location of the purls changing. Once you get used to charts, you will find them so much easier to use because you will be able to see what you are doing. However, looking at the chart, they have every row numbered. I do think you can do it in the round as long as you mark the beginning of every round. Use a post it or a magnet board and move it every time you complete a round. When I used to do counted cross stitch, I put my row marker underneath the row I was working on, but with knitting, you need to put it above the row instead.

I used to hate charts, but then I took the Laura Nelkin Craftsy class for knitting lace. I now love charts and hate written patterns. My only complaint now about charts is that I wish all designers would use the same symbols.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Just look at your chart and you will see that there is 4 purl after your first knit four and two after your second 4 knit that is your pattern for three rounds and then everything moves one stitch over for another repeat and so on. The chart is an easy one just do three rounds at a time and then move one stitch over repeating the same three rounds etc.

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
nibbles511 said:
I'm still a bit confused by the odd p2 at the end of row 1
Could someone help by doing written instructions for the first two rows please?
Thank you so much!
I also find it odd. I suggested earlier that you search every corner of the pattern to see if there are some hidden hints anywhere as to what the actual pattern repeat is.

It would be helpful if you could give us the exact name of the pattern. I searched for scrappy spiral socks and there are many.

·
Registered
19,983 Posts
nibbles511 said:
Thanks all , it is a Kate Selene free pattern and reading through the pattern I can't see any further info
I'd love to see the pattern but can't figure out how to get it. I can find the site but no way to get the pattern. Could you possibly provide a link to it please?

·
Registered
20,200 Posts
I downloaded the pattern and believe you are confusing the chart. The tube is knit in the round and you just keep knitting the pattern around and around. It is based on a cast on of 64 stitches.

I believe you just k4, p4, k4, p2 and because it is 4 repeats and 56 st., it shifts each round, making the spiral.

·
Registered
20,200 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom