Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I would go by the pattern and simply use a needle one or two sizes larger then the pattern depending on how much larger you want it to be. you can stitch a small square with each needle and see how much of a difference there is before actually using it.

·
Registered
7,057 Posts
You can also go to Ravelry and type in "mens hats." That will give you some good patterns for larger heads that can be used as chemo hats. Unless, of course, you want a frilly one. Then the men's section wouldn't work! :roll: Just make sure you use all cotton yarn as most chemo centers/hospitals don't allow blends.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Did you measure your friends melon to see how big it is? The size is smaller when the hair is gone. Then at that point, it is usually individual preference as to how snug they like the headcovering.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Measure your own head, mine measures 24 inches. If I were to make a larger cap and my friend's head measures 28,I would start with a chain measuring 28 inches long and go from there, be sure to make it at least 8 inches before decreasing for the top.
If you are one who starts at the top, keep increasing till your outer circle measures 28 inches. Crocheting a cap is easier than knitting it and yarn stretches.

Carol J.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
JJMM88 said:
I saw someone use eyelash yarn to make chemo hat, if you try to match the natural color hair, then it looks lie he/she has hair. great for chemo hat.
Somebody told me they tried to crochet something with eyelash yarn and it was a nightmare. I guess it's fine for knitting, but with crochet it almost impossible to find where the stitches are to insert the hook.

·
Registered
217 Posts
When knitting or crocheting for chemo patients remember scalps are very sensitive and get cold very easy.
I knitted hats for my daughter with angora wool, very soft acrylic and/or any other soft yarn. She even slept with a hat in the summer. Soft yarns also stretch enough to accomodate all head sizes as long as you do not use smaller needles to knit a rib stitch for the headband.

·
Registered
840 Posts
domesticgod said:
JJMM88 said:
I saw someone use eyelash yarn to make chemo hat, if you try to match the natural color hair, then it looks lie he/she has hair. great for chemo hat.
Somebody told me they tried to crochet something with eyelash yarn and it was a nightmare. I guess it's fine for knitting, but with crochet it almost impossible to find where the stitches are to insert the hook.
Yes, she was knitting the eyelash yarn for chemo hat, not crochet. I think knitting chemo hat is much better for the patient because crochet stitches are not as smooth as the knitted stitches, it would be harder on the scalp.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
It is a Private Message - click on my name and you will be sent to my profile. You will see a line that says Send a Private Message - click on that and a message page will come up - type in a title, your message and email address and click Send.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom