Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my Chiao Goo Interchangeable needle kit and I love it. The join is smooth EXCEPT my needles keep coming unscrewed. Is there a way to,lock them in? Has anyone else had this problem?
Please help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,696 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the key the t-pin? That's the only thing that might be a key and it didn't seem to fit into the little indent. My needle separated from the cord and I spent 45 minutes rescuing 235 stitches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,696 Posts
Yes the t-pin is the key, and there should be a hole in which you put it. It's the same place you would put your crochet thread for a lifeline.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,227 Posts
flamingo said:
Is the key the t-pin? That's the only thing that might be a key and it didn't seem to fit into the little indent. My needle separated from the cord and I spent 45 minutes rescuing 235 stitches.
Yes! that is the key. I also use my Hiya Hiya "grippers" which are just little flat pieces of rubber that I use to grip each side of the needle and cord tip and twist. If you have anything that you can use (fingers off latex or old rubber gloves work great), that will give you a little bit of friction, you won't need to use the key unless you want to. I know many will say they use the key as a safety precaution, but I have never had a problem just using "grippers".

Here is a link to purchase the grippers - they are only $0.89 each - you will need two. I have several in case they get lost.

http://hiyahiya-usa.shptron.com/p/hiyahiya-interchangeable-needle-grips
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,834 Posts
I have found that just using a key is not enough, you need a rubber gripper pad to hold the needle, and the key in the cord, then you can make it tight. Without the gripper pad, the needle will just turn in your fingers. I used a piece of rubber shelf paper, and cut it into small squares. Good luck, I love interchangeable for some things, but for really large projects it is sure safer to have a fixed circular.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,116 Posts
flamingo said:
Thanks so much, I wasn't using the life line hole. I will also look into making grippers.
You can make grippers from wide rubber bands...just cut into pieces the size you need! Best wishes!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,109 Posts
flamingo said:
I received my Chiao Goo Interchangeable needle kit and I love it. The join is smooth EXCEPT my needles keep coming unscrewed. Is there a way to,lock them in? Has anyone else had this problem?
Please help.
Hi - I, too, just purchased this needle set & started a project using one set of the needles. I noticed the yarn kept pulling on one side. Come to find out, one tip kept getting loose. I tried all ways to tighten it & finally called the phone no. on the back of the packaging. The woman was really nice & said the tip probably had too many threads on it for the cable. So, she is sending me a new one, & I sent her back the "defective" one. Excellent customer service, but I was surprised to have this issue w/such an expensive needle set!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,575 Posts
About grippers...the very best thing is that textured rubbery shelf lining at the dollar store. I have it everywhere... Every knitting bag, in my watercolor and acrylic tools,the kitchen...You can cut the size you want and it is so cheap that you can throw away soiled bits as needed. Great stuff...better and cheaper than what is sold for 'grippers'. BTW I love my Chiagos and haven't had any trouble with them at all. Tootsie
mopgenorth said:
Yes! that is the key. I also use my Hiya Hiya "grippers" which are just little flat pieces of rubber that I use to grip each side of the needle and cord tip and twist. If you have anything that you can use (fingers off latex or old rubber gloves work great), that will give you a little bit of friction, you won't need to use the key unless you want to. I know many will say they use the key as a safety precaution, but I have never had a problem just using "grippers".

Here is a link to purchase the grippers - they are only $0.89 each - you will need two. I have several in case they get lost.

http://hiyahiya-usa.shptron.com/p/hiyahiya-interchangeable-needle-grips
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,696 Posts
You can also use the needle grips (small rubber like disks) that are sold in the quilting section of most stores.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,227 Posts
cindye6556 said:
You can also use the needle grips (small rubber like disks) that are sold in the quilting section of most stores.
and they are probably just like the Hiya Hiya grippers - not being a quilter I never would have known! Thanks for posting this suggestion!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,696 Posts
mopgenorth said:
and they are probably just like the Hiya Hiya grippers - not being a quilter I never would have known! Thanks for posting this suggestion!
They are, I think I paid around $1 for the last package I bought at Joanns. If you're lucky enough to have a Wal-Mart that still has a real craft department you might even find them there as well.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom