Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an email from my brother,asking if I remember if he had chickenpox as a child,His daughter partner has shingles,and my brother is concerned,he could catch chickenpox,I don't think we had it as children,But as a told him I have been in contact with both many times,and never caught anything

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
If he had chickenpox as a child, he could contract shingles. If it is possible for him to avoid contact with his daughter's partner, maybe he won't get shingles. I have no idea what the incubation period is though, if he has already been exposed. Better to ask his doctor.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
susandkline said:
If he had chickenpox as a child, he could contract shingles. If it is possible for him to avoid contact with his daughter's partner, maybe he won't get shingles. I have no idea what the incubation period is though, if he has already been exposed. Better to ask his doctor.
When the lesions are oozing, that is when a person can give someone chickenpox. When it starts to dry up you are no longer contagious.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Reteshandspun said:
You cannot catch shingles, My Grandaughter has it at the moment (very nasty) her doctor said you have it in your body all the time if you have had chicken pox like a cold sore. No chicken pox No shingles.
True, you can't catch shingles from anyone, you get it when the dormant virus emerges from the nerves where it has been hiding. However it is possible to catch chicken pox from someone who has
Shingles and it can be nasty in adults.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
susandkline said:
He cannot get shingles (if he had chickenpox as a child) from someone who has shingles. He could only catch chickenpox from someone who has shingles in the active stage when it's oozing if he's never had it as a child. So nobody can catch shingles.

Chickenpox is a form of herpes that stays in your nerves. Something may trigger it and you'll get shingles. It lives in your body so you can't catch shingles.

Sometimes you might not have a really severe case of chickenpox as a child. That might give you enough immunity to catch chickenpox again. I was exposed to two people who had mumps and I didn't get it.

Shingles tends to show its ugly face, in my opinion, when the person is very stressed (college stress, job stress, etc.)

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
immunurse said:
True, you can't catch shingles from anyone, you get it when the dormant virus emerges from the nerves where it has been hiding. However it is possible to catch chicken pox from someone who has
This is the proper answer.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Joy Marshall said:
You can have an immunization shot for shingles. It isn't a guarantee you won't get it but it is certainly much better than nothing. I have had it as I had chicken pox as a child.
Both of my daughters got shingles in College, 15 years later they both got it again. It wasn't a bad episode this time but they still got it. I had it bad (took me 10 weeks to recover and on sick leave for 3 weeks and have permanent nerve damage) and knowing it's a herpes virus, certainly I was afraid I would get it again. I asked my doctor for a Shingles shot and she said no reason to--because getting a shot essentially is like giving you a mild case of shingles enough to get your body to build antibodies. So I'm too late for the shot because I got Shingles. Fine--then why did my daughters get Shingles twice??

After all, those cold sores you get on the lips? That's a herpes type virus and I get those now and then so so much for getting an immunity to it.

I also have been seeing commercials about a lawsuit for people who got Shingles after they got the shot.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I had no idea one could catch chicken pox from someone that has shingles. I had chicken pox as a child and I've had the shingles shot so hopefully I'm pretty well covered. I'm going to have to research this though.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
immunurse said:
That is, in fact, what happened to me. I was 32.

·
Registered
25,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My neighbours baby had Chicken pox,he was under 2 years of age it was really bad,the rash was everywere,he lost so much weight,his little bottom looked like a ballon that the air had been let out,My son was in contacted with a child with chicken pox before he was twelve months old,when he had a slight rash,I called the army doctor,He came out to see him,The rash didn't get any worse,but a week latter,he was in contact with chickenpox again,Fine again,But then got it when he was 21years old,

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
immunurse said:
As I'm currently suffering with Shingles, I have to agree that it's Nasty ! Due to my low immunity I'm really suffering and will be very relieved when it's all over. ????

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
Reteshandspun said:
You cannot catch shingles, My Grandaughter has it at the moment (very nasty) her doctor said you have it in your body all the time if you have had chicken pox like a cold sore. No chicken pox No shingles.
Thank you for correcting my post. I did not know shingles are not contagious.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Rita Ann said:
You can only catch chicken pox from Shingles..its the other way around...Chicken pox can give someone Shingles..
No, someone who is currently having chickenpox cannot give someone shingles.

Once you get chickenpox your body now has a virus (like herpes) laying dormant within the nerves. Chicken pox does not attack the nerves. You have spots practically all over your body. If you've had chickenpox in the past you can get Shingles at any time and that rash will follow a nerve path because it's in the nerves. The only time Shingles is a problem to a person who never had Chickenpox is if that person touches the oozing fluid that lasts a few days before it starts to dry up.

If someone didn't have enough of an exposure to chickenpox in their past (just a few spots they might not have built and immunity and so they could get Chickenpox again.

Most people today have either gotten chicken pox or got the chickenpox immunization shot.

Well, how do I know this? Well my doctor explained it to me, my daughter nurse also explained it and every search on the internet says the same thing.

Shingles attacks the nerves. That is why the first medication they give you at the first sign of shingles is nerve medication. You could have permanent nerve damage and if you get it on the face - as I did, and it got close to the eye, as I did, you can go blind in that eye. Once Shingles got a good hold of me --36 hours later, I could not concentrate, I could not drive a car. I just wanted to lie down and sleep. It was awful. It took me 6+ weeks to feel normal again.

I did not go blind but I lost feeling on the left side of my face some numbness just in the far corner of my eye requiring me to use eye drops. Chickenpox has only one thing in common with Shingles=an itchy rash but Shingles is more localized.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom