Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
They have a lot of them in Kansas and they bite and sting from what my friend says.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
TX has those little devils! Ugh, I hate those biting little stinkers.
Take anithistimines. People are VERY sensitive to their bites.

·
Registered
112 Posts
jtevendale said:
i am suffering from chigger bites and itch like crazy. questions: 1) do you have chiggers in other parts of the KP world? 2) any good homemade cures besides cortizone and benedryl?
Back home in Georgia we had them all the time. Paint over your chigger with fingernail polish. It suffocates the little varmints--I hate to tell you they don't bite, they burrow. At least that what my granny said. I remember this working anyway.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
We have them in South Eastern Pa. That's where my sister lives and she got bit by them last summer. She went to the doctor and go a shot and a topical solution but don't know what that was. I think they are hard to see with the naked eye.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Jessianna said:
http://animals.howstuffworks.com/arachnids/question488.htm

Animal planet says they do not burrow.. But suck skin cell stuff from your skin. And its best to wear loose clothing.

Its a quick read to learn about them.
Thanks for the link==I learned something today. They are still creepy little varmints and I am now itching just thinking about them. LOL.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
jtevendale said:
i am suffering from chigger bites and itch like crazy. questions: 1) do you have chiggers in other parts of the KP world? 2) any good homemade cures besides cortizone and benedryl?
My husband had them and had to travel on the plane for two days. It was terrible. When we got back we discovered that (it sounds crazy, but it works) - take a large leaf of cabbage, lightly roll a rolling pin over it to break the veins, then wrap around the place where the chiggers are, wrap with torn sheets or elastic bandage - anything so it's clean and washable. Wear overnight. In the morning, take it off, throw away cabbage (it pulls out the toxins and smells putrid - UGH). BUT IT WORKS. Sometimes, if you have an extensive case of chiggers, it may take several nights of treatment. I use this whenever I get chiggers - at least I can get a good night's sleep. Cabbage pulls them out.

Another hint - Old Spice after shave - rub on a goodly amount. It helps relieve the itching almost immediately. Might take two applications. Best of blessings to you. In Texas, outside I always wear long pants and socks. I learned my lesson from all the suffering my husband went through.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Go online and look up chiggers, they burrow and the sting lasts a long time. Nail polish does not work according the the website. Hubby works outside in remote areas and gets them alot. He has found Preperation H for hemroids to be the most effective for the itch. Sure makes the sales clerk take a second look when you buy 4 tubes of the stuff at one time:)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom