Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can't believe I'm actually able to help, being that I'm such a newbie, but I will attempt to share my slipper pattern I've used many times. I found it on the internet. I will have to learn how to put links here, so until then, I'll just type it out:

Grandma's Knitted Slippers (by Mary Gaines)

Materials: 2 skeins of yarn any color. 1 Skein of a contrasting color for Pom-poms, for instance.
Size 10 knitting needles, large plastic needle, regular sewing needle and thread and 2 decorative buttons.
This makes one pair of slippers.

4 sts = 1 inch and 6 rows (3 garter stitch ridges) = 1 inch.
29-small size, 35-medium size, 41-large size

Outer Moc:
Cast on 29 (35-41) sts using 2 strands of yarn.
Row 1: Knit across
Row 2: K9 (11-13) *P1, K9(11-13), repeat from *once more.
Repeat rows 1 & 2 until there are 15 (17-19) ridges on right side, ending with Row 2.

Shape Toe:
Row 1: P1, *K1, P1, repeat from * across row
Row 2: K1, *P1, K1, repeat from * across row
Repeat these 2 rows until you have 12 rows (14-16) then work row 1 once more, cut off yarn leaving an 8" end.

Finishing:
Draw 8" end through remaining sts and pull up tightly, then sew with large plastic needle from beginning of ribbing to form toe. Fold slipper in half and sew inside seam for center back. Make 2 pom-poms and tie to each front side tightly and knot to inside of slipper. You can make your pom-poms one of two ways, either by cutting to form nice sphere, or fold them in half and tie in center. Then a decorative button can be sewn onto the tie.

** I have found that when sewing up the back side of slipper, I sew it from the top to the ridges, then knot it, then with the bottom part, I pull the stitches tight as with the front, to make it more rounded at the heel. Also, for the yarn for these slippers, I found Bernat Softee Chunky yarn is perfect, and you only need one strand. Using the 29 cast on stitches is a perfect size for an adult woman's size.

·
Registered
24,411 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom