Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I've been searching various sites but so far have not found what I'm looking for.
My five year old GD loves to wear dresses, and legwarmers are needed for warmth here in MI. I think I can wing a straight tube, and even a pattern, once I know how to start, but do I need a certain type or weight of yarn, and how many stitches to start with, and do I start with the top or bottom? Thanks for any suggestions you all may have.

· Registered
797 Posts
I made leg warmers for my 2yr old grandaughter. I just took one of her sox and went from there to the ribbing. Knitted to the length of her leg then a couple more inches of ribbing. Did not have a pattern and knit them without any. but they seem to work out fine. Hope this helps

· Registered
5,169 Posts
I made a pair for a great-niece (also in Michigan, sophie11) for xmas. I used a beautiful cascade worsted weight. She's 9, but petite. I did the same thing as mentioned above, used about the same number of stitches as a sock for yarn, her age, and size.

I used 48 stitches and just did 2x2 rib until I thought I would pass out from boredom. Then I got to repeat the boredom cycle for warmer number two.

She loved them. I had yarn left and made a 2x2 rib hat too. She wore it the entire xmas eve.

· Registered
75 Posts
i just finished a pair for my 7 year old granddaughter. I used Paton's purple yarn with sequins already on the yarn because she wanted them "sparkly". I used #4 double point needles and cast on 46 stiches. Did about 4" of ribbing, then 8" of stockinette and then another 4" of ribbing. I used a very stretchy bindoff. They came out great and are very easy.

· Registered
21,155 Posts
I just made legwarmers for my two granddaughters from a a pattern I downloaded from Flowerpot Designs. I used some inexpensive yarn from Joann's usingtheir 40% off discount. T did have to use double pointed needles and they came out very nice. I will be giving them these legwarmers this coming weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom