Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not drive and the only store close tyo me selling yarn is Hancock's. It doesn't carry a full range of needles ir yarns so I have been going on line. eBay has some decent bargains , sometimes. I do not like buying from China but a Chiness seller was the only one selling a variety of steel cable needles. ( I would probably have been wiser to have bought one of the exchangeable sets early on, but I didn't).
I received the eight steel needles cable sets yesterday and immediately noticed that the sizes of the needles went from large to smallest-- in reverse order from American needles. I have an American sizing gauge so can use that to translate the sizes into USA sizes.. Each nedle comes with a tiny needle gauge with holes labelled 8-17. 8 is the largest on the gauge and 17 the smallest mm . The smallest needle ( diameter) is smaller than the hand sewing needle included with each cable needle. I imagine these very thin needles would be used for lace? I haven't measured the length of the cable but think these are all on the long side.
I repeat ,I do have American needle sizer which I will use to check the size of the needles . I do not see any mm sizing on the envelopes which are all in Chinese. I would say that the largest needle isn't any more than a size 10 American

Not a request for help or a complaint, just a comment on different sizing that surprised me at first.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
That would be confusing. But, as you say, you can make use of them by using your needle gauge to check their sizes.

I am intrigued by the custom of enclosing the tiny sewing needles with the knitting needles. I wonder what the purpose is.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I got mine off Ebay also but I did click the part for USA only and got my Bamboo circulars and didnt have this type of problem. I love my Bamboo and have gotten may lengths. I would just use your guage each time. I live way out in the sticks and most of my buys are online also. Not even a big selection at Wal-Mart either. Good luck!

·
Registered
13,785 Posts
Having bought at least three different packages of the Chinese steel needles...I can tell you the mm size.

14 is US 0 at 2mm
13 is 2.25mm
12 is 2.5
11 is 3mm
10 is 3.25mm
9 is 3.5mm
8 is 3.75mm
7 is 4mm
6 is 4.25

·
Registered
13,785 Posts
regencylover said:
Thank you very much.
it might be that I didn't get the size I wanted after all. I'll have to look and see.
As long as you order the 24 inch tip-to-tip (60.96cm) minimum...you won't have too much fight on your hand. I can recommend quite a few listings via PM if you need me to...or just PM me the listing you bid on. I can recommend others if needed.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
kaixixang said:
Having bought at least three different packages of the Chinese steel needles...I can tell you the mm size.

14 is US 0 at 2mm
13 is 2.25mm
12 is 2.5
11 is 3mm
10 is 3.25mm
9 is 3.5mm
8 is 3.75mm
7 is 4mm
6 is 4.25
How very strange! Those Chinese sizes are exactly the same as the old UK sizes. Those were superseded by the metric sizes about 25-30 years ago, but I suppose most of us still use a mixture of both. Very odd that those sizes are still in use in China.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Canadian / English sizing is this way. The higher the number the smaller the size. Metric is the best because the number is actually the size in millimeters. I have a gauge that has all three on it. One set of holes, but Can and American numbers on one side and metric on the other.

·
Registered
15,969 Posts
Peggy Beryl said:
That would be confusing. But, as you say, you can make use of them by using your needle gauge to check their sizes.

I am intrigued by the custom of enclosing the tiny sewing needles with the knitting needles. I wonder what the purpose is.
I have not encountered this yet.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I own two sets of these. They come in handy. I ordered mine with different cable lengths. They worked well until I could afford all of my interchangeables. I'm not crazy about about purchasing chinese-made items but these really were well made and worked great. I too used the american needle gauge to loosely convert the sizing.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I have several sets of these and yes, they are the old British / Canadian sizes. I like them just fine. Here's the chart I use, but I also use my needle sizer. If I'm rushing out the door and grabbing a set, I just remember that a size 7 is the same in both sizing charts and get one a little higher number if I want smaller than a 7.

http://www.yarnfwd.com/main/needleconv.html

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
regencylover said:
the set I have goes from a 6 to 18. The higher numbers are very thin. All are 24" cables. I need to look for a set from their 0-5.
I'm hoping they come out with the larger tips too at some point (sorry for the pun). They're not the world's best needles but I've had absolutely no problems, and I like being able to grab one and grab the yarn and shove them in a project bag and go.

·
Registered
13,785 Posts
I use both the gauge that comes with the Chinese circulars...and the Boye gauge if I want to have a SET for in-the-round work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom