Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out wandering around this weekend, hitting all the craft stores. It was either Hobby Lobby or Michael's that had all their Christmas stuff out for sale already. I think it is totally ridiculous to have merchandise out 5 months before a holiday. In a few years, they will probably leave merchandise out for every holiday 12 months a year.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I like it when the knitting yarns are out early. I start my Christmas projects right after christmas. I have a lot of things already to go. I also purchase all through the year. That way I am not rushed to buy my gifts. We are all different.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Must admit if it's craft stuff, then I want it out early, how else can you both choose/plan what you want to make, and have plenty of time to do it. If it's general Christmas items such as decorations then it's too early for most shops. (I say most because I recently went to a shop that sells Christmas decorations all year and that's all they sell.)

·
Registered
13,547 Posts
Maybe they are clearing out their old stuff before the new seasons stuff comes in. I do notice it seems to come out earlier each year. Some people like to get a head start on Christmas crafts and I know a weekly craft group that sets aside the 25th of each month to work on Christmas stuff.

·
Registered
217 Posts
suzy-kate said:
Must admit if it's craft stuff, then I want it out early, how else can you both choose/plan what you want to make, and have plenty of time to do it. If it's general Christmas items such as decorations then it's too early for most shops. (I say most because I recently went to a shop that sells Christmas decorations all year and that's all they sell.)
I agree. I just wish my local stores had Christmas craft items now as I am already making Christmas items..and have been for the past two months. Need to start early !

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I don't like seeing decorations up before Halloween, but I am always happy to find craft supplies for the holiday set out early. I wish stores would stock the aisles QUIETLY without bashing us over the head with Christmas so early that by the time it gets here we're over it.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
dragonswing said:
I was out wandering around this weekend, hitting all the craft stores. It was either Hobby Lobby or Michael's that had all their Christmas stuff out for sale already. I think it is totally ridiculous to have merchandise out 5 months before a holiday. In a few years, they will probably leave merchandise out for every holiday 12 months a year.
About 3 weeks ago I was in our local Hobby Lobby and Michaels and was surprised to see all the Halloween and Christmas items out. When checking out in Michaels I said something, the gal told me that a lot of people like things out early so they can start their crafts for their upcoming craft show. I guess this makes sense to me. :sm07:

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
dragonswing said:
In that type store, it is essential, because many of us are now working on Christmas items in an effort to have them done by then. I'm still working on the ones I started last year! :sm08:

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
morningstar said:
In that type store, it is essential, because many of us are now working on Christmas items in an effort to have them done by then. I'm still working on the ones I started last year! :sm08:
I am not talking about the craft items used to make things. I am talking about the 6 foot trees, with the lights, and ornaments that you buy, not make. The lighted animations for the yard. Icicle lights for your roof.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I agree with Miss Lucille. Put the seasonal items out early enough so that crafters can make their projects but be discreet about the product placement.

Actually I feel bad for little kids today vs when I was a kid. "Back in the day," each big holiday was a dramatic event to look forward to. Now it's all a blurry mishmash with so much holiday overlap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom