Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
15,436 Posts
Oh, I missed that one, too. Thanks for posting this. hope we hear. We used to raise butterflies from worms. Took one to the Sunday school class we taught (6th grade) and it opened during class. Kids were so impressed.

· Registered
12,235 Posts
You might be looking for "my" bug. It hasn't done anything yet but should be making its debut as a luna moth anytime within the next week. I'll keep you guys posted you can be sure. Hope this is what you were looking for. Thanks for the interest. jberg

original post in Pictures: Okay guys. What is this? (BUG) July 31

· Registered
15,436 Posts
jberg, be sure you know that when it first hatches it is all crinkly and has a huge belly. It will pump the fluid in the body into the veins of the wings, which then will set up. It won't be good at flying at first-- might want to get it near a bush it might like. We used to hatch black swallowtails (if I remember right) and we could tell when they were close to hatching because they changed colors. We also had a few whose wings didn't form right, very sad, couldn't fly. I'll be looking for more on your moth!

· Registered
12,235 Posts
Kansas g-ma said:
jberg, be sure you know that when it first hatches it is all crinkly and has a huge belly. It will pump the fluid in the body into the veins of the wings, which then will set up. It won't be good at flying at first-- might want to get it near a bush it might like. We used to hatch black swallowtails (if I remember right) and we could tell when they were close to hatching because they changed colors. We also had a few whose wings didn't form right, very sad, couldn't fly. I'll be looking for more on your moth!
Thanks so much for this helpful info. I currently have it on a bench on the porch but plan to move it to the bottom of the big old oak tree in the yard. I'll probably do that tonight or tomor. Will keep you all posted. Thanks again. jberg

· Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jberg said:
You might be looking for "my" bug. It hasn't done anything yet but should be making its debut as a luna moth anytime within the next week. I'll keep you guys posted you can be sure. Hope this is what you were looking for. Thanks for the interest. jberg

original post in Pictures: Okay guys. What is this? (BUG) July 31
Glad I've not missed it. Hope it all goes well then.

· Registered
15,436 Posts
Jberg, should have added do not touch the wings-- at least this is true for butterflies and probably for moths. There are tiny scales on the wings and if humans touch the wings the scales come off, thus harming the butterfly. This is so exciting-- hope all goes well. Right up there with having a baby!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom